Looks like we should wire with "pipe" !

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The skin effect is quite interesting, And perhaps it means we get better voltage transfer with stranded wire.

Skin effect is the tendency of an alternating electric current (AC) to become distributed within a conductor such that the current density is largest near the surface of the conductor, and decreases with greater depths in the conductor. The electric current flows mainly at the "skin" of the conductor, between the outer surface and a level called the skin depth. The skin effect causes the effective resistance of the conductor to increase at higher frequencies where the skin depth is smaller, thus reducing the effective cross-section of the conductor. The skin effect is due to opposing eddy currents induced by the changing magnetic field resulting from the alternating current. At 60 Hz in copper, the skin depth is about 8.5 mm. At high frequencies the skin depth becomes much smaller. Increased AC resistance due to the skin effect can be mitigated by using specially woven litz wire. Because the interior of a large conductor carries so little of the current, tubular conductors such as pipe can be used to save weight and cost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect ........ Quite an interesting article about electricity.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The skin effect is quite interesting, And perhaps it means we get better voltage transfer with stranded wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect ........ Quite an interesting article about electricity.

I don't deal much with high voltages, at least anything above 460VAC, but I always was under the impression that the skin effect is mostly at very high Kilovolts on power transmission lines. Silly me. And at my age, all those formulas just give me a headache.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is why high voltage conductors ARE basically 'pipe'. You would not like to try to wire a house with copper tubing, and the benefit would be so minimal, that you might not even be able to measure it.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The use of metal pipes and “skin effects” can cause the metal raceway to become energized.

The biggest problem with skin effects comes from frequencies not the amount of voltages. The higher the frequency the farther out the conductor the current flows. This is the reason we are required to bond both ends of a metal raceway that contains the grounding electrode conductor. Although lightning is a DC event it comes at very high frequencies.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The use of metal pipes and “skin effects” can cause the metal raceway to become energized.

The biggest problem with skin effects comes from frequencies not the amount of voltages. The higher the frequency the farther out the conductor the current flows. This is the reason we are required to bond both ends of a metal raceway that contains the grounding electrode conductor. Although lightning is a DC event it comes at very high frequencies.
Ahem; is that last sentence what we would call an oxymoron? Like a Little Giant?;) does that happen frequently? You mean it is ziggy DC?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Ahem; is that last sentence what we would call an oxymoron? Like a Little Giant?;) does that happen frequently? You mean it is ziggy DC?
The easy way to think about it is the level of voltage from beginning to end of the event varies from low to very high repeatedly and at a very high rate of speed between peak to peak thus a high frequency.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Lightning is often on/off (think squarewave) so it can approximate a very high frequency, but it's all DC (with a very high speed switch rate!). It looks continuous, but it isn't.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks