Advice on replacement of Tub/Shower valves and trim... what I would like it to do

Users who are viewing this thread

G60

Reaction score
Friends,
I am tearing out my tub surround tiles and walls and would like to update my 40 year old valves and trim. My cast iron tub is in good condition and will be kept.

Two adults and two children use this tub/shower nearly daily. We only have one and half baths so I would like to try and start it in two weeks and get it done in five full days leaving me one day to do the plumbing and fitting. I have managed int eh past to do several jobs sweating/brazing copper to copper/brass without burning down the house or having leaks so am confident I can install everything needed.

Since my kids are six and ten I will be installing a slide shower, with or without a main showerhead as well.

My kids are girls, and they and my wife like to take long showers washing their hair etc, and have from stays in Europe gotten very used to showering with the water off half the time. this has always been a PITA with our old desperate hot cold with center mounted diverted since the temperature has to be reset.

Long story short, here is what I want:

1. valve and trim that will allow stopping of water and recovery at approximately same temps (+/-3 of pressure seems ok for that). I dont want to have to cycle through the cold because the kids may just leave the water on
2. diverter /transfer valve that remains fixed when water is stopped (is doesn't come out tub spout first when turning flow back on).

also possibly in order of desirability:
3. addition of fixed head
4. use of fixed head and hand shower concurrently
5 flow control

my budget for valves, trim heads etc is $500 to $600.

I see a 8343 moen set up for $360:

looks like that gives me 2 and 3.

Ideas? Advise?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need at least two handles to do what you want, and maybe a third if you want to divert to a second showerhead. You might want to check out Delta's R10000 rough-in valve body, then you have a choice of two different trim/cartidge types that would work. There are three different ones that work in that rough-in, but the first is a single handle that requires going through cold. Look at the 1700 series. The big-box stores sell these as full kits, but a plumbing supply sells the rough-in and trim of your choice as separate pieces - much more variety.

The middle of the three uses one handle (often a lever) for temperature control that you can set and leave, then the second one only adjusts the flow from off/on. Then, you could also choose a thermostatically controlled valve that works similarly - set the temp with one knob/lever and adjust the volume with the second.

I put one of the Delta units in at my mother's house. I have a thermostatically controlled Grohe valve in my home that I like.

Personally, I find the hand-held on the shower bar fine as my only showerhead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks