1950s American Standard Shower Mixer Valve leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Btrandum

Reaction score
Need help identifying American Standard Shower Mixer Valve

First time poster. I have a leaking shower mixer valve. I've posted three photos. The valve seats are shown in the first photo, I don't have a tool to dress the seats, and unless advised otherwise I'd try to do it with a grinding disk on a Dremel tool. The second photo is of the valve assembly in place. The third shows the operating assembly. Any idea of a model number or where to get parts?

Attachments

• Amer Std 1950s mixer valve assy.jpg
    Amer Std 1950s mixer valve assy.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,740
  • Amer Std 1950s mixer valve interior.jpg
    Amer Std 1950s mixer valve interior.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,379
  • Amer Std 1950s mixer valve stem.jpg
    Amer Std 1950s mixer valve stem.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,797
Last edited:

chadw

Reaction score
That's an American Standard commercial unit. I just purchased a rebuild kit at FW Webb plumbing, (203) 325-1355.
Part number was A/SR12936.09 "R1400 RENU RP OVERHAUL" 442005

If you choose to replace it instead I'm interested in the trim hardware.

Btrandum

Reaction score
Thanks Chad. I'll contact them. The trim is in very good condition, so if I can rebuild my plan is to keep it, but if not, you're the man.

KellyIN

Reaction score
IMAG0365 - Copy (451x800).jpgIMAG0366 - Copy (451x800).jpg
I have the exact same shower valve and could use some help. The shower head is only producing lukewarm water when the handle is turned to full HOT position. Yet, the bathtub hot water is working just fine. Do you have any idea why I don't receive full use of the hot water in the shower head? I took the valve apart and replaced the rubber washers, but it didn't make a difference.

Last edited:

Btrandum

Reaction score
View attachment 17281View attachment 17282
I have the exact same shower valve and could use some help. The shower head is only producing lukewarm water when the handle is turned to full HOT position. Yet, the bathtub hot water is working just fine. Do you have any idea why I don't receive full use of the hot water in the shower head? I took the valve apart and replaced the rubber washers, but it didn't make a difference.

Hi Kelly, I still haven't rebuilt mine, but here's an idea for you. Do you see the threaded post that extends from the valve seat on one side and bumps against the housing? It may be too long, so when you move the temperature arm it is stopped by that post before it moves far enough to turn the hot side on all the way. On mine it is brass and quite soft so I'm not sure how to turn it without breaking it. A trick i used with a frozen motor part, taught to me by an auto mechanic, was to sit it in a solvent bath for a month and it loosened up. Means no shower for a month.

Pb82

Reaction score
Need help identifying American Standard Shower Mixer Valve

First time poster. I have a leaking shower mixer valve. I've posted three photos. The valve seats are shown in the first photo, I don't have a tool to dress the seats, and unless advised otherwise I'd try to do it with a grinding disk on a Dremel tool. The second photo is of the valve assembly in place. The third shows the operating assembly. Any idea of a model number or where to get parts?
I have one like the one in the first picture. The inside, though, looks different. I fixed the leak from the shower head by replacing the gasket around the stem, but the unit fills with water and comes out of the screw holes. My question is whether there is a round gasket between what we see in the picture and what's behind it, around the rim. I didn't find one when I took it apart. I think I can fix the leaks from the screw holes with new washers, but I'd like to know whether I should be looking to replace a gasket as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks