Best drain type and strainer for kitchen sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
Kitchen remodel with new undermount SS sink. I want to put in high quality strainers that will look good and last, as well as drain piping that will last. What do you prefer?

Solvent PVC, PVC tube, brass tube? Brand/type of strainer?

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Basket strainer. A $50 Kohler looks great, but an $18 Watts will probably last as long. The Kohler, chrome plated vs. polished stainless, really pops

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I put in two of the Kohlers a couple of years ago. I'm happy with them -- if you keep them clean, they hold when you want and drain when you want -- haven't seen that in a long time.

TJanak

Reaction score
Wow, the Kohlers are $100 a piece. There's not enough engineering and material in those to get me to spend as much on basket strainers as the sink itself. I think the $50 I spent on BrassCraft or whatever was plenty.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your prices are high! But what is in the Kohler is significantly thicker chrome plating, better polish, etc.

Chefwong

Reaction score
For all you pros, does the material/design of the locknut matter.

My other Kohler SS duostrainer had a brass locknut.
My new one for other new sink, SS again, has a very round *smooth* locknut with the usual 3 screwhole to compress the washer.
Not sure what the material is...it's grey/burnished silver in color. Perhaps SS...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks