Whining/noise returns after expansion tank install on cold water line - help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Nards01

Reaction score
Recently, in one of my rentals, the water line developed a humming or whining sound and a burst of high pressure when the water was first turned on. I replaced the hot water tank last year and upon having this problem now, I added a Watts expansion tank and raised the house pressure to 50 up from 40. This solved the problem for about a day or two but the high pitched sound has returned. The pressure problem is gone. FYI when I installed the exp. tank I pressurized it to 50 to match the line pressure which the instructions said to do. Any suggestions to eliminate this sound would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Recently, in one of my rentals, the water line developed a humming or whining sound and a burst of high pressure when the water was first turned on. I replaced the hot water tank last year and upon having this problem now, I added a Watts expansion tank and raised the house pressure to 50 up from 40. This solved the problem for about a day or two but the high pitched sound has returned. The pressure problem is gone. FYI when I installed the exp. tank I pressurized it to 50 to match the line pressure which the instructions said to do. Any suggestions to eliminate this sound would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a "burst of high pressure" when the water is first turned on (at a faucet? or the main shut off?) or could it possibly be some gas accumulation at the fixture? Is there a PRV? I'm assuming you've placed a peak pressure indicating gauge somewhere to help troubleshoot what is happening. What is it telling you?

Where is the sound emanating from?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It sounds like a bad PRV valve. (pressure reducing valve)

John

Nards01

Reaction score
FYI, when I installed the expansion tank about 3 weeks ago I used the PRV to adjust the house pressure from 40 to 50. I used a pressure tester to get the readings. Since the PRV did adjust, does that mean the PRV is still good?? Or can it be failing/bad and still allow for a pressure adjustment??

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
You say your getting pressure spikes. That's telling me the PRV has failed.

John

Nards01

Reaction score
No, I'm not getting any pressure spikes. I adjusted the pressure from 40 to 50. The pressure is steady now. It's the SOUND I'm trying to eliminate!!!!

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
I was going by this statement you made. (humming or whining sound and a burst of high pressure) That's what I call a spike.
John

Nards01

Reaction score
Sorry John - but if you read further in that original post I said the "burst of pressure" problem is GONE now that the exp. tank is installed. The SOUND, although gone briefly, has returned. Thanks

Reaction score
Where are you hearing the sound? Near the PRV, near a specific fixture, throughout? Does it do this with any water draw (toilets, showers, faucets) or only specific ones. I'm trying to understand if it is flow rate dependent.

The one thing I've noticed with my PRV is that it chatters loudly when the sprinklers cycle--it is running max flow to reinventory each line as it switches. I rarely run the sprinklers, but I wondered what the racket was until I stood next to the PRV while they cycled to the next station.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Go to kragen or any auto store and for around $7.00 get a stethoscope, They work great! Use it with My Borzit auger drilling under houses.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
try this

Go to kragen or any auto store and for around $7.00 get a stethoscope, They work great! Use it with My Borzit auger drilling under houses.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some toilet valves can make some annoying sounds if they're on their last legs. Try turning the supply off to various toilets and trying to create the sound. If you find one that stops it, either service or replace the fill valve of that toilet. Some have an easily replaceable seal, some don't...those that don't need to be replaced. Check out either Korky or Fluidmaster, both readily available, both work. Depends on the toilet whether you might need a special one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks