Banning the Big Gulp

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is it true that New York City is thinking of banning the Big Gulp drink?
And do we really need someone telling us how much we can drink when we are thirsty? And how sweet it can be? If Ian was still around, he would remind us that in England, you can drink warm beer on Sunday and vegetables that have been stewed and steamed way past their usefulness. If there were any nutriments left, they would boil them some more. But at least it would be legal to consume them.

They call it the big apple. Is it okay to eat large apples then? I suppose those are good for you. What about hot dogs. I hear they have hot dog stands there. Is there going to be a ban on those too? Or are hot dogs as good as it gets? I mean I like em, don't know how good they are for you though.

When you look in the harbor, you see a tall lady holding a torch for newcomers to the mainland of the United States. Does she care if you like a big tall glass of soda? And are there seconds?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorialsopinion/2018372251_pitts07.html

laws do not perfect. They restrict. And restriction is something of which free people should always be skeptical. What's next? A restriction on the number of doughnuts you can buy? A ration of candy and pizza?
Leonard Pitts Jr.

superbiggulp.jpg

Maybe they are getting too big! I think this is the one for a buck in NYC.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Is it necessary to have a war on obesity? Especially, for kids in grade school? I think, it is far worse to deflate the child's image of himself, their self-confidence than, numbers on a scale. Who pays the price on this? The kids! Like it isn't bad enough for kids in school to be different in any way, then, to have the govn delcare to declare war on obesity... it really, singles them out. This to me, is so damaging.

What would Ian think of war on obesity?

They can get rid of the big gulp, I hate the stuff, lol.

Last edited:

Brandon124

Reaction score
I believe that there's two sides to this coin. I concur with the concept of the government monitoring and controlling society's consumption of gargantuan-sized beverages. It breaks my heart whenever I see someone handling such a drink. Their health may be at stake. Moreover, they are representing America. If other countries were to observe this sort of behavior, then they'd be frowning upon us (not like they aren't already). However, I disagree with the idea of depriving people of a certain thing that they enjoy.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The average adult consumes 22 teaspoons of sugar a day. The average teenager, 32 teaspoons a day. There is a health risk and a health cost associated with this and not just obesity. If those costs did not raise the cost of health insurance and health care than by all means the government should stay out of it but like most things that are bad for us the cost of care gets spread out to everybody paying for insurance and taxes.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What keeps people from just buying more than 1 small drink ?

I buy a six pack when 1 32 Ounce Beer is not enough.

This is all just a excuse to raise taxes on soft drinks.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
As a New Yorker, and one who lives less than 50 miles from NYC, I agree with Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his wanting to ban megasize drinks. That will require a person to buy more than one drink if he/she or (he-she :p) really wants more to drink. Obesity is a big problem in NYC. I don't think this will affect any childs self confidence in their appearance. They apparently don't give a crap anyway how they look or how it affects their current and future health. Lots of people in NYC get public assistance and welfare, which pays their medical expenses from all taxpayers, fat, ugly, stupid, poor, whatever.

Like Social Security, which is in big trouble: whenever I went to the Social Security office, the place was packed; not with senior citizens like myself who have paid all their lives into the system, but by Welfare receiving baby makers with their uncontrolled gang of kids trying to destroy the place, screaming and throwing brochures on the floor, while their cell phone yapping single moms ignored them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57452189/bloomberg-defends-big-sugary-drinks-ban-plan-again/

Am I a bigot? Only with inconsiderate, freeloading S***heads of any races or nationalities including my own.

Ah, that felt good to get off my mind; now back to my 22 ounce (just over what would be legal) Arizona Green Tea and Triple bacon cheeseburger (just kidding)

Thats how I get when an arrogant customer starts my day off wrong. Ha!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Until I was 28 years old, I could knock down anything and never gain a pound. If I went out to breakfast, it was french toast and and omelet. All you could eat fish chips on Tuesday? Sure, bring it on. but then I was very active with a shovel, sledge hammers and I ran, ran and ran while I was plumbing new construction. But portion control? I know plenty of guys that will pick up a half rack on the way home. A six pack lasts me almost a week. I did have two pints and a hamburger after my double header softball game on Monday though. They would have sold me more, I'm sure. At least I don't clean the plate like I was admonished to when I was a kid. I quit eating when it's enough. If I can't play a game of tag after dinner, then I've had too much. Not that I really do that anymore, but that's how portion control started for me. My GF is on a diet now, and I think I've lost about five pounds while she has been on it. Go figure!

Cookie

Reaction score
As a New Yorker, and one who lives less than 50 miles from NYC, I agree with Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his wanting to ban megasize drinks. That will require a person to buy more than one drink if he/she or (he-she :p) really wants more to drink. Obesity is a big problem in NYC. I don't think this will affect any childs self confidence in their appearance. They apparently don't give a crap anyway how they look or how it affects their current and future health. Lots of people in NYC get public assistance and welfare, which pays their medical expenses from all taxpayers, fat, ugly, stupid, poor, whatever.

Like Social Security, which is in big trouble: whenever I went to the Social Security office, the place was packed; not with senior citizens like myself who have paid all their lives into the system, but by Welfare receiving baby makers with their uncontrolled gang of kids trying to destroy the place, screaming and throwing brochures on the floor, while their cell phone yapping single moms ignored them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57452189/bloomberg-defends-big-sugary-drinks-ban-plan-again/

Am I a bigot? Only with inconsiderate, freeloading S***heads of any races or nationalities including my own.

Ah, that felt good to get off my mind; now back to my 22 ounce (just over what would be legal) Arizona Green Tea and Triple bacon cheeseburger (just kidding)

Thats how I get when an arrogant customer starts my day off wrong. Ha!

Living that near to NYC, you got bigger problems than obesity, I would not breathe in too deeply without a mask on for at least the next 200 years. Loads of particulates floating about I would not want in my lungs.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Living that near to NYC, you got bigger problems than obesity, I would not breathe in too deeply without a mask on for at least the next 200 years. Loads of particulates floating about I would not want in my lungs.
I don't know if I can hold my breath that long Cookie. I could wear a mask and pretetend to be a doctor. There seems to be a bunch of those types of guys who get their feels in til they get caught! All the 911 stuff blew out to sea and is now in China, adding to their problems of pollution

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Until I was 28 years old, I could knock down anything and never gain a pound. If I went out to breakfast, it was french toast and and omelet. All you could eat fish chips on Tuesday? Sure, bring it on. but then I was very active with a shovel, sledge hammers and I ran, ran and ran while I was plumbing new construction. But portion control? I know plenty of guys that will pick up a half rack on the way home. A six pack lasts me almost a week. I did have two pints and a hamburger after my double header softball game on Monday though. They would have sold me more, I'm sure. At least I don't clean the plate like I was admonished to when I was a kid. I quit eating when it's enough. If I can't play a game of tag after dinner, then I've had too much. Not that I really do that anymore, but that's how portion control started for me. My GF is on a diet now, and I think I've lost about five pounds while she has been on it. Go figure!
Terry, we would think that kids would be able to burn all those calories up, but these days, they are all plaing video games or chatting, even the little guys in 4th grade! And some of the school districts are talking about or have already dropped gym classes and outdoor sport activities due to budget problems.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/elmont-residents-debate-school-budget-1.3776629

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You do know how to put the cap on a thread Bob LOL
Actually Tom, I'm quite mellow these days. I do have some buttons though;). At 69 years old, it is getting harder and harder for me to kick a 20 or 30 something's ass:cool:. They have no problem trying to hit an old man who says something they don't like to their face. Kids these days: no respect. Healing is much slower these days. On the Internet its easier, but I sincerely hope I offended nobody with what I said:)

Cookie

Reaction score
Actually Tom, I'm quite mellow these days. I do have some buttons though;). At 69 years old, it is getting harder and harder for me to kick a 20 or 30 something's ass:cool:. They have no problem trying to hit an old man who says something they don't like to their face. Kids these days: no respect. Healing is much slower these days. On the Internet its easier, but I sincerely hope I offended nobody with what I said:)

We are the parents of the 30 some year olds. I got 2 great sons that never gave me a lick of a problem. But, I think that is not the norm. I know people who are my age, your age, with kids in their 20's, 30's and 40's that have attitudes. Where did they get the attitude? Home. Who is the home? Us. Why are they without any respect for others? Maybe, because they were not shown it by their parents. I treated my sons all their lives with love and respect, and I got love and respect back. They treat others with respect. I had let my kids be who they were from day one.

I remember the K-Teacher coming up to me saying, " I wish more parents would do what you do." I asked her what that was. She said, " let their kids be who they are."

I remember Bob, after my husband died, I asked my son, besides being his dad was gone, and his mom had cancer, what was wrong? He said, " Mom, I don't know if I can be the man of the house, I don't know if I can take care of everything and you." He was visibly shaken up. I was astounded. I told him, that he was not the man of house, he was still a kid, and, that I "take" care of things, and myself, and I asked him, why and how he got that idea. His answer did not really surprise me, for I should had known who would had been the person to say something like that to him, but, I told him, that day, looking into his eyes, that I did not expect that from him, and what I did expect from him was to keep doing what he was doing in his life, to be happy and go the distance in his goals, and I would take care of the rest. He was fine after that. But, I wonder how many people put unrealistic expectations on their kids, and, set them up for failure and set the tone for many years to come between them. And, some times, others will even, do it for you. That sucks. You would not even know.

Acceptance is the first step to any healing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks