Cast iron neo-angle corner tub/shower

Users who are viewing this thread

David Williams

Reaction score
I will be installing a cast iron neo-angle corner tub (American Radiator & Standard Sanitary) with shower head. I have two questions:

1. Can I place a glass surround on a tub like this? It measures 50" X
50" on the wall. The right angles to the walls measure 36" on the outside.
The diagonal measures 18.5" on the outside.
The flat portions of the top of these outside surrounds are 2".

2. I would like to have the shower head suspended from the ceiling. Can I run the shower head supply line
through unheated (attic) space if I leave some fall in the horizontal (+/- 3') portion of that line? I would
insulate the .5" copper.

I am asking these question because, if I can install a glass surround, I would like to minimize door bumping and direct shower spray contact with the door.

Thanks,

David Williams
davidwilliamscarpentry.com

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are code restrictions on the minimum-sized opening into a shower, so that would restrict what type and location of the operable opening.

If the line to the head has some slope to it, there should not be any water left in it (or enough to cause problems) if it is run fairly close to the ceiling with insulation over it. Now, if it also goes up an outside wall, that could be a problem. What some people do is install a tub spout as a toe-tester (and diverter) so you can get the water temp perfect, then run it to the showerhead, plus, it drains line when done, too.

David Williams

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I would indeed use a diverter in the tub spout for drainage. I would rather not have to run the line to the head through the joists so that it would be covered by the loose-fill insulation; there's precious little headroom in the attic that close to the eave. I'd like to avoid removing ceiling drywall and loose-fill insulation in order to install from below. I'm hoping that I can install the head supply, with adequate fall for drainage, over the attic joists with pipe insulation. Maybe even wrap more insulation around that.

Because the existing tub had supply lines in an exterior wall, I've replaced the tub with one configured to permit interior wall rough-in. That was one of the problems that led to this remodel.

Thanks,

David Williams
davidwilliamscarpentry.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The line to the shower head is NOT a problem. Any water in it will either drain from the shower head or out of the diverter spout. It will NEVER freeze even if it is uninsulated. I do not remember the angle of the NeoAngle tub being that short, but glass walls were installed on them without any problems.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think code requires a minimum of a 24" opening (and it must either slide or swing OUT). Double-check my numbers. If you can reach the minimum, you have lots of choices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks