(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Autotrol 460i problem

Threaded View

Default Autotrol 460i problem

I have an approximately eight year old 64000 grain softener that has started acting up. We are on a private well and I periodically clean the injector and screen as a preventative measure. Starting last week my wife complained that the water was "kind of hard". I suspected that as in the past the injector and or screen was probably partiallly obstructed. I cleaned both parts and manually regenerated the unit. The water was still only partially soft. I checked both parts again and added some iron out to the brine tank. I regenerated the unit again and observed its operation. It did draw the water from the brine tank and refill but the water remained unchanged, what I would consider as only semi soft. ( i have been unable to find test strips, so sorry for this description) This unit was initially installed on our old well which failed after about five years ago. We had a new deeper well drilled and the unit performed quite well. I have been told that the problem could be fouled resin, or hard water leakage past the valve discs. Is there any way to troubel shoot this problem or should I just change both out and hope for the best? Thanks, Jim
    Last edited by rudyjr; 06-03-2012 at 10:30 AM.