Single Handle vs Double Handle Faucets.

Users who are viewing this thread

DW85745

Reaction score
Any advantages / disadvantages of a single handle faucet shower with a mixing value versus the old double handle (e.g. Price Pfister) style or is it just personal preference ?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Old two handle showers do not have the pressure balanced, so called anit-scald feature. As such, they are not allowed for remodel or new construction.

That said, I have an old PP windsor, and am in no rush to update. Toilet is in the shower room, so no one flushes the toilet while I am in the shower!

Today, I would recommend a Delta 1700 series, which has separate controls for temperature and volume.

DW85745

Reaction score

I have an old PP I was planning on reusing in this small bath remodel. Has worked great for 30+ years.
Personally prefer the two versus one handle
Will take a look see at the Dselta 1700 series.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Remodels in most places require you to bring things up to current code. Now, the number of handles depends on the design features. Often, the least expensive option is a single handle. Those work as pretty much as on/off switches - full volume once turned on, the more you turn it, the hotter it gets, but no volume control. The next step 'up' is a two handle unit that gives volume control and a separate temperature control knob (or handle). The best choice (in my opinion) is a thermostatically controlled valve that also has two knobs or handles. One is a volume control and the second is a temperature control. All current valves that meet code provide anti-scald. The less expensive version(s) used pressure balance; the more expensive version uses thermostatically controlled cartidges (and may also have pressure balance functions internally as well).

Trying to reuse a 30-year old valve is not a great idea...repair parts are potentially tough now, and will only get worse. They all will leak or start to look nasty eventually. Why start with something that old on a remodel?

DW85745

Reaction score
Any suggestions on manufacturers of:

1) thermostatically controlled valve that also has two knobs or handles
2) two handle pressure balance

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All thermostatically controlled valves have two controls, often they are concentric, but that's not always the case. One controls the volume and the second controls the temperature. The thing I like about them is once you find your ideal temp, you never have to change it, only turn it on and off.

While I'm sure others make them as well, a good option is to get the Delta R10000 rough-in valve that will accept all three types of today's shower control valves. The cartridge that determines the type comes with the trim. The big box stores tend to sell the things as a complete package which limits your choices. A good plumbing supply store will sell the two bits separately (rough-in and trim). I put one of these in at my mother's house, and it works well for her. At home, I've got a Grohe unit. It worked out better for my specific application.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Delta R100000 valve accepts multiple functions: it can be the two-control pressure balanced model 1700 that I referenced. It can also be the thermostatically controlled 17T. And of course, it can be the single control press.bal 1300

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you "love" a two handled faucet, there are remote pressure balance units, made for Kohler and Grohe for example, which install in the piping ahead of the faucet to make them code compliant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks