How do I replace a shower with a bigger better shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

deviddiya

Reaction score
At pesent I have a free-standing shower (touching only the back wall). I want to replace with a nicer shower(one that is not free-standing - touching 3 walls). I will not be able to find a shower that is exact size between the present side walls. I will need to extend the two side walls out about 3 to 4 inches to meet the shower walls. What is easiest type of wall to build? Do the shower walls have to be glued to drywall or will plywood work? I am limited on placement of shower due to the drain which is exatly 18 inched from the back wall.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I could built you so many different showers with that exact set up. For one you can use the existing drain location and switch out the old drain pan for a new clamping drain and custom shower pan or a linear drain and custom shower. Building a custom shower starts with taking everything out and starting new. New tile prep. New tile. New plumbing. New fixtures and on and on.

Your toughest task is setting up a budget for this new shower and finding out if you can afford to do the entire shower custom or work with some ready made shower kits. Find the number you are comfortable paying and then work backwards. Make sure you budget only 70% of your maximum so you have a little in the kitty for pop ups.

Loads of my clients hire me to build the shower pan, curb, install the backer boards and waterproof the shower - then they take it from there. If you can do it all you only need to budget for the materials.

If you only have one shower then building a new custom shower can be a real drag so faster methods and more expensive shower building materials can save you some time.

JW

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some surrounds don't need anything on the walls, some can go against drywall, some want cement board. You need to choose your materials, THEN figure out what you need to do to support the wall properly.

But, if you can find the materials, the way to make a new shower fit in your exact available space would be to do a custom tiled shower. Not sure what materials are available in your country, but local customs may not actually produce a good shower...there is a real science to building a good, reliable, long-lasting, trouble-free custom shower. If you can get the materials, this would be my first choice.

decrem

Reaction score
Website
www.doityourselfthistime.com
handymaninOrlando1.jpghandymaninOrlando2.jpgI have been a Handyman in Orlando Fl for over 20 years and Personally I would not use drywall or plywood I would use wonder board or some people call it cement board. Over time drywall tends to deteriorate because of the prolonged exposure to humidity and water. I have seen shower walls done with drywall that literally come crumbling down. Don't use drywall, at least not in the Shower area. as for the walls you can use 2by3 or 2by4 to frame it the way you want it and just tile over the wonder board. Hope this helps

SteveBath

Reaction score
Website
bathrenovations.org
Nice shower there ... I would be concerned about a free standing shower - but I would like to see a high quality one somewhere.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Wedi makes some neat freestanding showers if you like the style. Here's one, but they have others.

Attachments

• wedi scroll.jpg
    wedi scroll.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 913
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks