(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: High pitched hissing noise coming from Shrader Valve on pump

Default High pitched hissing noise coming from Shrader Valve on pump

Hi, I have a relatively old (probably 10-20 years... don't know for sure since I just bought the house) domestic water pump with a shrader valve that constantly hisses - sometimes annoyingly loud. Since the pump is located just outside our bedroom it has proved to be quite a sleeping hazard!

Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Thanks, Ryan

The Schrader valve should only his for a few seconds after the pump shuts off. If it is hissing for a long time, your check valve in the bottom of the well maybe bad and you are draining the entire length of drop pipe.

This can also make the Air Volume Control (AVC) on the side of the tank hiss for a long time, releasing the excess air from the tank. But if the AVC doesn’t hiss, you will probably start getting air in the house that will blow a glass out of your hand.

Thanks for the reply valveman. I do get an extreme amount of air coming out of the faucets when I turn them on for the first after being closed during the week (this is a weekend home) - other than that, there doesn't seem to be air in the system. Is there any way I can go about checking the check valve? What is the drop pipe? Ryan

If the check valve in the pump is leaking or the drop pipe (pipe down the well) has a hole in it, the schrader valve will suck air for a long time. This fills the entire drop pipe with air. So when the pump comes on, it puts all this air in the pressure tank, which is why air blows the glass out of your hand at the faucet. Which also means the AVC or Air Volume Control threaded in about half way up the tank is not working either.

Fix the pumps check valve or the hole in the pipe and the Schrader will only suck for a minute. Replace the AVC, and you will stop getting air out the faucets.