Do I need a pump shroud?

Users who are viewing this thread

grizz

Reaction score
Hi, I was told I'm going to need a pump shroud but I'm running into problems here. The well is on another property so I can't physically see it right now, but my paper work says the diameter is 4 1/2"(doesn't specify ID or OD so I'm not sure of the true ID). I have a 1.5hp pump that is 3 3/4" (95mm) in diameter. It will be going into a 365ft well, water level is at 305ft where the perforations are. The well is rated at 10 GPM. pump is rated for 8 GPM at 350ft. Ok so the problem I'm running into is I have a green pvc pipe that has a 3 7/8" ID and a 4" OD. That would leave about a 1/16" gap all around, is that enough of a gap? Is my green pvc pipe the 100# 4" thin walled sewer pipe that is recommended to make these shrouds? Do I even need a shroud for a 4 1/2" well? Any help would be great, thanks.

grizz

Reaction score
In your case I don't see the need for a shroud!

Thanks for the reply! Could you please tell me why I don't need one? The company I bought the pump from told me I would need a pump shroud, and the other fact that it would be top feeding so water wouldn't be running by the motor.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
1/16” clearance will easily let that much water past. But it is a tight fit in the casing which maybe a problem. A motor in a top feeding well would greatly benefit from a shroud, but you may not have a choice. Franklin says their motors have been shortened up so much that a shroud is not needed for 2 HP or smaller. They say there will still be enough circulation around the motor, even in a top feeding well. Of course they like to sell motors so I still use a shroud anytime I can.

I think you will still be better off with a 4” pump and no shroud than a 3” pump with a shroud. One thing you can do is to de-rate the motor. By using a 2 HP motor on the 1.5 HP pump, the motor is de-rated and will run cooler. This helps when pumping hot water or a shroud is not possible.

grizz

Reaction score
1/16” clearance will easily let that much water past. But it is a tight fit in the casing which maybe a problem. A motor in a top feeding well would greatly benefit from a shroud, but you may not have a choice. Franklin says their motors have been shortened up so much that a shroud is not needed for 2 HP or smaller. They say there will still be enough circulation around the motor, even in a top feeding well. Of course they like to sell motors so I still use a shroud anytime I can.

I think you will still be better off with a 4” pump and no shroud than a 3” pump with a shroud. One thing you can do is to de-rate the motor. By using a 2 HP motor on the 1.5 HP pump, the motor is de-rated and will run cooler. This helps when pumping hot water or a shroud is not possible.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, looks like I will just go without a shroud for now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks