(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanting a flat panel television above the fireplace

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    When I was ready to go to a large flat screen, I thought over the fireplace would be ideal. However, I was advised by several folks that looking up was not a comfortable way to watch TV. I heeded the advice and got a table for it. Since then, I've had the opportunity to visit homes that had their flat screen over the fireplace and I know I made the right decision. I know it seems like a great idea to save floor space and put the TV so it will be viewable from everywhere in the room, but it really isn't a good idea.
    A chair like this might help though. Ha!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udf1a...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFxw_...eature=related
    Last edited by BobL43; 06-13-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Don, I have more sense than money, so please send some (money) my way, lol!

I would but Money is kind of tight right now, since I am getting my New Ceiling projected TV installed in the bedroom.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I would but Money is kind of tight right now, since I am getting my New Ceiling projected TV installed in the bedroom.
    Well maybe I don't have so much sense after all. If I didn't spend so much on my wife's new bathroom I'd have more money.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Well maybe I don't have so much sense after all. If I didn't spend so much on my wife's new bathroom I'd have more money.
    Keep her happy and she will keep you happy.

You have better sense than most, and your priorities are in the right place.

Keep her happy and she will keep you happy.

You have better sense than most, and your priorities are in the right place.
    Thanks Don, we both try to do our best to keep each other happy. Hope you guys are doing well too.

Make each other laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    We are working on a clients home in Whistler that has a nice huge TV above the fireplace. After an hour my neck was killing me. I would think a TV that can tilt forward might be useful as well a couch that has a head rest for more comfy viewing.

LOL I just read my post and I sound like a slacker. We worked all day until 8:00 PM and then spend the night here at their place. I did do some work before enjoying TV and Pizza!

JW
    Can you measure the seating distance to the TV , what size the TV is and at what height is it mounted ?

I'll be at 15 Ft , the TV is a 65in , and top of TV will be approx 7ft 6in and bottom of screen will be aprrox 4ft 6in...

Alot of the TV's I've seen in pictures or in person the seating dist is less than 8ft away and yes that would be like "Front Row Joe" at the movie theater...

I got all the wires ran , the Drywall guy will be here tomorrow, then come back Friday to finish up , hopefully paint Sat. then Sun/Monday get the TV hung.
    And all the surround system put back in place ....

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Personally, I prefer to either look down on the screen or at most, to be looking slightly higher than the mid-point when staring straight ahead. Any up angle to view the screen gets to be a pain. What I'd do is while sitting in your normal viewing seat, look ahead at a point that is comfortable - like staring off into the distance while sitting on a park bench...then ideally, center the screen there. I really think you're going to find it too high unless you have a reclining chair for all positions. Then, consider maybe the children whose sight-line starts a foot or more below yours, or if they like to sit on the floor. High is NOT good unless you are laying in bed or are a masochist.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abouthadit View Post
    Can you measure the seating distance to the TV , what size the TV is and at what height is it mounted ?

I'll be at 15 Ft , the TV is a 65in , and top of TV will be approx 7ft 6in and bottom of screen will be aprrox 4ft 6in...

Alot of the TV's I've seen in pictures or in person the seating dist is less than 8ft away and yes that would be like "Front Row Joe" at the movie theater...

I got all the wires ran , the Drywall guy will be here tomorrow, then come back Friday to finish up , hopefully paint Sat. then Sun/Monday get the TV hung.
    And all the surround system put back in place ....

Your TV is good size. The AV pros we work with here in Vancouver recommend taking your viewing distance (15' or 180") and dividing it by three (60") . This rule was for the old size TV's so now with the wide angle a 65" should be ideal!

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Abouthadit -

Have you done a cardboard mockup as well as sat in the presume seating position.

In the bedroom, mounted nice and high with a angle tilt mount is the way to go. Angled - as in angled down towards the bed.

For a 65", with 1/3 being the general rule, a NICE place to start as a reference point is the bottom of the screen at 40" AFF and then take it from there.
    If you're an architect, you want it high --- just because fashion rules over function.
    If you're a HT sorta guy, 1/3 eyelevel is the rule of thumb

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Abouthadit -

Have you done a cardboard mockup as well as sat in the presume seating position.
    I never did like the cardboard mockup of my girl.

The mirrored ceiling is better.

I never did like the cardboard mockup of my girl.

The mirrored ceiling is better.
    Don, you Risque Rascal! Happy Fathers Day to All!

Abouthadit...

Any pics of your screen. Did you really end up installing it with the bottom being at 54 inches....

Hopefully will have it hung tomorrow. Had to do a road trip the last couple of days .
    Once I get it up I'll post up a pic or two...
    Then we are working on getting the mantel done, she wants --- I want going on lol...

For a minute there, I thought you had hurt yourself craning your neck all the time to look at the new setup ;-)

Seriously though....before you go through the trouble of mounting it that high, can I suggest the mock-up test and just looking at it for a short extended period of time.
    And if you have little ones, pretend you're 2-3 feet shorter and imagine HOW much more uncomfortable it is. This is all very subjective.....and don't get me wrong, displays hung high look great *aesthetically* , but at 54" as a ref point of the bottom of the screen, it's really quite high.

You can pull it off somewhat if you have all reclining seats in your room......