In-wall vent for waterfall drain?? Air Admittance Valve or cheater vent

Users who are viewing this thread

conroyt

Reaction score
I just had the great idea to install a waterfall in my upstairs interior wall. The pump and drain are located 1-floor below in the basement utility room.
I've been having problems with siphoning of the upstairs waterfall drain. Sometimes the drain backs up and overflows (BIG problem), and upon waterfall start-up it will sometimes not start flowing until it gives a great big burp.
My local plumber (great guy!) who installed the unit per manufacturers instructions tells me I need a vent near the upstairs drain. To make a long story short, the only place to vent the drain will be inside the interior wall. He suggests using a mobile-home type vent. The water being vented is always clean and will not emit noxious gases. I am slightly concerned about the potential for mold, so am thinking of putting a screen/air-vent type cover in the wall over the vent to allow for air circulation. I live in arid New Mexico.
Is this a terrible idea or an acceptable solution? Thanks for your expertise.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any AAV needs access to air. Whenever an AAV is installed in a wall, it needs a grill that allows air.
That would be a good fix for your problem.

This is a good lesson for all. You can't run a fixture from the top floor and try to "trap" on the floor below.
The draining water develops so much speed, that it siphons the trap dry. Or installing a trap without a vent also will siphon. Plumbing 101

sure_vent_wall_box.jpg

Oatey Sure-Vent Wall Box

Last edited:

conroyt

Reaction score
Terry,
Thanks for the fast response. Is there any difference between an AAV and a "cheater vent"?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cheater Vent.
Who makes something called a Cheater? I would love to see someone try to market that name.

AAV stands for Air Admittance Valve. That's the term that the plumbing industry uses.

Has anyone ever seen something marketed as a "cheater vent"?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That thing that Home Depot sells isn't a legal vent.
But then a lot of what Home Depot sells won't pass a plumbing inspection. It drives the inspectors nuts, having the tell the homeowner that they installed the wrong parts.

cheater_vent.jpg

NOT LEGAL

Last edited:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
"That thing that Home Depot sells isn't a legal vent. "

but it is actually labeled as a cheater vent, lol. now that's funny :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks