Conversion of 220 blower motor to 110

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamie Meredith

Reaction score
We recently replaced the air handling unit in our home due to the coil leaking and I kept the old unit because the motor seemed to be fine.

I would like to use the large motor and housing to create a large air filtration unit for my wood shop.

I would like to know if it is possible given the photos attached to rewire this for 110 use. I have 200 A of service available at the panel in the shop, but no outlet or breaker. I realize it is not terribly difficult to wire up a 220 outlet, but would like to explore using 110 instead if I can avoid having to mess with the panel.

The motor indicates that it is a 1/2 HP so I doubt that the 220 requirement has much to do with the fan, but more rather then compressor unit outside (this is a heat pump system). The label also indicates a 3 way switch that I am guessing was controlled by the unit logic board where the thermo wires in, so I would also want to get some kind of switch to add to the motor.

Thanks in advance for you help. Great site!

20120531_152559.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some motors can be rewired, some can't. While not 100% certain, don't think that one can.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I would like to know if it is possible given the photos attached to rewire this for 110 use?......
The motor you have cannot be rewired. You could buy one the same frame size rated for 110V.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF it could be rewired, the rating plate would have had a listing for 120 and the wiring diagram would have detailed how to do it. Yours CANNOT be rewired, unless you take it to a motor shop and have it rebuilt, which will cost more than a new motor. The three speeds are probably selected when it is installed, unless there are multiple wires coming out of it to feed from a remote speed controller. The motor voltage, whatever it is , has NOTHING to do with the outside unit, and there would be no need for a dual voltage motor, or even reversibility, for a dedicated application. A replacement motor, however, might be a multiple voltage unit, aand reversible, just to minimize the variety of models that had to be stocked.

Last edited:

Jamie Meredith

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their help. I am likely going to just hire our electrician to come in and wire a 220 outlet for this. Electricity is electricity right? LOL That is unless someone here thinks it would be unwise.

I do need to figure out the switch portion. Is there anyone here that would have suggestions on how to convert the current electronic control switch to a manual three speed switch?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A switch to adjust the speed would need to be a SPTT (single pole, triple throw) with a break before make contact set. Just like the picture on the motor, one line voltage input would go to the switch with three output contacts for low, medium, high. Make sure you find one with switch contacts rated high enough for both current and voltage - it will cost a bit more, but is required to survive. This would work in conjunction with a DPST wall switch to turn the motor on/off. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CARLING-TECHNOLOGIES-Toggle-Switch-10C575?Pid=search

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Could you leave the control in and adapt the low voltage wiring to be controlled manually?

Jamie Meredith

Reaction score
Possible I suppose. It appears there are a series of relays on the control board. There is also a capacitor I am guessing aids in startup. I am considering just wiring the high side and not worrying about three levels.

Jamie Meredith

Reaction score
Then again, I may just scrap the whole thing, sell the motor and spend the money on a good variable speed squirrel cage motor and build my own housing.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Then again, I may just scrap the whole thing, sell the motor .............
No offense, but good luck with this. Those things are a dime a dozen.
Air handlers are routinely replaced, and the motors are rarely bad. I see more get thrown away than you'd want to believe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks