Memorial Day

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Cookie

Reaction score
Question. How many of us here served in Nam and Thailand? Only, if you want to share.

My husband was Air Force. He was in Udorn, (on the perimeters), was anyone there or, at Dong Ap Bia? God bless.

I was disappointed with his funeral because of one thing, the undertaker. Plus, having to listen to how ridiculous it was to have a mass, a funeral, and hearing about how unsatifactory the seating arrangements was in the limo, all the while, I stared through the front of the limo at the hearse which carried my beloved husband. Wondering why this even happened, I was so sad. Maybe, I should had just ridden in the hearse and freed up a seat to make her happy & satisfied.

The Color Guard presented me with his flag, and the Air Force saluted my husband when they moved him from the hearse; but, the undertaker, was a clown and said, he could not get a real bugle, to play, Good night Soldier, instead, it was a cheap tape player.

Our sons told me, I did good without me saying a word to them and they said, they were proud of both dad and I, but, it was disappointing & angered me, because, my husband deserved the real thing. I was married to this really good man, whom I loved from the day I met, and he deserved the best because he served his country. He was my buddy and we were going to grow old together.

Dear husband, Good night Soldier,

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,
May the soldier or sailor,
God keep.
On the land or the deep,
Safe in sleep.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well said Cookie. Forget her at least for today. Remember the good things in the past and think of good things to be.

Cookie

Reaction score
You are right Bob. And, thank you... What trouble can I get into today? :) Maybe, weather permitting I will see what is living in the back gutters. Hj, I will let you know, lol.

A few years back, I had tomatoes growing in them, I called it, Gutter Gardening.
And, Hj, this is the truth, no exaggeration, I was growing Chives between the bricks on the steps going to the deck. I put the farmers to shame.

Fresh meat in the front, (squirrel on a stick) & veggies in the back! lol.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks