Snaking the mainline question

Users who are viewing this thread

tbfyou

Reaction score
I can't get the snake to bend enough to make the "T" at the mainline. Any suggestions? We have to have this done every 6 months and I can't afford that anymore. Ineed suggestions besides call a plumber please.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it were the correct "T", and there is no defect in it, and you are using the proper sized snake, it should go around the corner without "bending" the snake. WIthout knowing whether you are using the proper snake, accessing the drain in the proper location, we cannot help you. BUT, if you are snaking through the toilet's opening, then it is almost impossible to get the proper snake to turn downward, because its natural tendency will be to make a "U" turn and go UP the pipe. An undersized, or weak, snake CAN make the "S" turn necessary, but will seldom do a proper job of clearing the obstruction, which could be why it happens every 6 months.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it but you are trying to get folks on this site, in 2 different threads, to give you permission to do something that is at best ineffective and at worst potentially dangerous to you. Professional snakes (in your other thread you say you rented a snake so I'm assuming it's pretty good size) can hurt you if you don't know what you are doing.

I think you are getting the same advice from both threads -- bite the bullet, have the line professionally cleaned out, and maybe if it is done really well this time you won't have to have it done for a long time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks