running drain through studs, according to code?

Users who are viewing this thread

navid

Reaction score
Hi,
The plumber doing my basement plumbing is running kitchen drain through the studs (drilling them) to the old washroom drain. the length of the running is 27 feet and it has 10 elbow(90 degree) from kitchen to old drain. Is it according to Ontario code?
thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is almost NO code that would allow a 27 foot drain line to have TEN elbows in it. And a good plumber would find a way to NOT put that many in, in the first place.

navid

Reaction score
here is the plan for the basement. Kitchen drain starts from the pink circle and the existing drain which run from ceiling to basement floor, are the red ones. Thanks for your ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Apparently this is a DIY design, because most professional designers would have revised the plan so the drain did NOT have to run that way. You have at least two problems.
1. To be "legal" he will have to install an "accessible" cleanout at almost every turn
2. The sink drain WILL clog up frequently, so you should buy a good drain snake and learn how to use it.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i would assume there is no permit involved or you wouldn't be asking if it is to code.
it is a terrible layout at best, but it would be to code provided it is vented properly, has proper slope and has accessible cleanouts located every 6m and a cleanout on the trap arm or union p-trap

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks