t in the mainline

Users who are viewing this thread

tbfyou

Reaction score
I rented a 100 foot snake yesterday but have had no luck getting it in. I've watched the plumber do this before, but I wanted to get out of the deal a bit cheaper. So I drop the snake in and try to feed it into the mainline, but I have a "T" shape down there. I can not get the snake to bend enough to go into the hole. What can I do? I gotta return this machine by 12 and it is 9am now.

~Melissa

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do what you should have done in the beginning. Call a plumber with professional drain clearing equipment and the skill and knowledge of how to use it. Sometime the cheap way just doesn't work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the plumber has had YEARS of experience to get his "direction". He may also have a different kind of snake than you are using. There is no way we can tell you HOW to do it, because it is often a matter of "feel". As I asked in the previous posting, WHERE are you inserting the snake? If it is through the toilet opening, the difficulty can range from "hours of trying", to "impossible".

You are like the customer I had a few decades ago. We were doing some remodeling and left for the Memorial Day weekend. When we returned on Tuesday, the wife asked if I could unplug the laundry sink drain because her husband had been trying to do it all weekend. he could not unscrew a pipe. I did it in a matter of a half hour or so, and as I finished, the husband came home with the biggest pipe wrench he could find, (a 36" wrench). He had rented it and was prepared to do battle with the drain that evening.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Please post a photo of the Tee and the snake you are using.

If you have to snake a line every 6 months, there is probably a problem which is only paritally fixed each time...like roots, a belly, etc.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are "perfectly capable" you wouldn't need direction. Now, I'm just a novice DIY myself, but several of the responders to your questions on both threads are highly experienced plumbers with years of experience. The advice they are giving you, essentially the same as mine, is to get professional help. This is not to call them so they can take some of your money, but to give you professional advice on your problem. Yes, this is a forum to help DIY, but not every task is suited for DIY and the best advice is to know when to call for help. Very frankly, you are not going to get anyone on this forum to OK what you are trying to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks