Softener not softening?

Users who are viewing this thread

70runner

Reaction score
I installed a Fleck Twinpro 100 series (dual 8"x44" tanks) softener with brine tank about 4yrs ago. At the time I upgraded to 10% crosslinked resin to deal with the city water 1.5ppm free chlorine. My HM digital TDS meter says the city water is approx 440ppm and the softened water is about 300ppm. I checked the meter (don't have my calibration solution yet) against some bottled water, about 10ppm.

Seems like I should be getting lower readings on the softened water, 50-100ppm. Is it time to change the media, brine tank issue?...suggestions?

Chevy427

Reaction score
Your numbers ARE strange. It in the wrong direction. If your hard water has 400TDS then your softened water should have, say 480 or higher. Softeners add to those levels, not reduces them.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Twinpro 100... ugg, one of the less than stellar controls. It has been discontinued. Regardless, get a hardness test kit, a tds tester will do you no good. Order a hach 5B test kit.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your digital TDS meter has gone wonkey. I had one for awhile. finally bounced it off the basement wall. It didn't work any better after that either. LOL

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think your digital TDS meter has gone wonkey. I had one for awhile. finally bounced it off the basement wall. It didn't work any better after that either. LOL

Now me, none of that emotional, probably from imbibing adult beverages the night before, violent stuff. I simply smiled wide as I gently laid mine in the trash one morning and wished it well in its next life.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep. I don't know if anybody makes one that is worth the plastic but the few I have had and word from others pretty much says the same thing. Surprised someone hasn't come up with an app for the I pad that does it

70runner

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses...

Now that I look back on all the paperwork (memory not so good), I see that a softener doesn't necessarily change TDS, rather it exchanges magnesium and calcium ions with sodium or potassium ions (which of course most of you guys already know). The TwinFlo - dual tank approach seemed like a good idea at the time and is still going strong. Thx for the suggestion on the Hach test kit, looks like a good way to check softener effectiveness.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
People complain about tds meters accuracy, than they complain that they cost more than 10 dollars. :) I sell tens of thousands annually, and yes, they are cheap, and yes they are junk, the price has dropped below the $10 price point. What do you want???

BTW, I am smiling, total tounge in cheak on the thread. Honestly, I would recommend the HM digital series, these cost a few more dollars than the real cheap ones, and they can be calibrated and they actually work and are accurate. A good old fashioned analog meter (Myron L model 532T1 is over $300) is a little tought to justify when a HM digital TDS-4 is only $30.

70runner

Reaction score
Hach test results: supply water, 9GPG; softened water immediately turned blue with first drop. Digging back in my records I found the lab test I did prior to sizing/installing the softener. It showed CaCO3 hardness at 180ppm which would seem to be consistent with the Hach reading. Bottom line, appears the softener is doing ok.

Chevy427

Reaction score
Now me, none of that emotional, probably from imbibing adult beverages the night before, violent stuff. I simply smiled wide as I gently laid mine in the trash one morning and wished it well in its next life.

I am having a hard time understanding why Gary Slusser needs to make rude personal remarks about other members. I don't think personal attacks help anyone.

F6Hawk

Reaction score
I am having a hard time understanding why Gary Slusser needs to make rude personal remarks about other members. I don't think personal attacks help anyone.

Some things are beyond comprehension, you must simply accept that they "are".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks