mixing hot and cold water

Users who are viewing this thread

mikegerard

Reaction score
I have an infrared EZ Faucet adapter hooked up on one of my faucets. You open the faucet and it turns the water on and off automatically when you pass your hands under it. Here's a link.

http://www.dynamic-living.com/hands-free-faucet.htm

It seemed to work fine in the summer but now it's winter and the cold water is COLD. I recently noticed that if I have this faucet set so that there is warm water coming out all the hot water lines in the house are only warm. If I move this faucet to all cold or all hot then the other waters lines in the house get hot.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Thanks, Mike

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
leaving the hot and cold faucet valves in the open position and using your infrared EZ faucet has caused a direct CROSS CONNECTION where cold water can pass directly to the hot side causing problems in the building. Get a infrared faucet, not this screw on device(it's not a faucet), that was designed to shut off both the hot and cold.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

mikegerard said:
I have an infrared EZ Faucet adapter hooked up on one of my faucets. You open the faucet and it turns the water on and off automatically when you pass your hands under it. Here's a link.

http://www.dynamic-living.com/hands-free-faucet.htm

It seemed to work fine in the summer but now it's winter and the cold water is COLD. I recently noticed that if I have this faucet set so that there is warm water coming out all the hot water lines in the house are only warm. If I move this faucet to all cold or all hot then the other waters lines in the house get hot.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Either get a "good" automatic faucet or install check valves on the line to the faucet to prevent backflow into the pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks