Aqua Dynamic, Odd leaking faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Anon125

Reaction score
if this is on the wrong forum, please move it to the right one!

the exterior faucets are the kind for cold weather, so they are about a foot long - inside the house.
the shaft the handlle is on has a little hole in it.
on one, that is where the water comes out!
what is wrong?
thanks

Frost%20free%20hose%20bib.jpg
frostfree.jpg

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Sounds like you didn't remove the hose from it last winter causing the faucet to freeze and break.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A frost free sillcock uses a long shaft on the handle to turn the actual guts of the valve way at the other end. So, if it is leaking, it may need a rebuild kit to replace the sealing washer and or seat. Also, most frost-free sillcocks will still split if you happen to leave a hose on it with a closed nozzle...it then can't drain. If the shaft isn't sloped properly, it can't drain, and could freeze, too.

Anon125

Reaction score
do these help
i suspect that rubber valve on top.
thanks

Attachments

• frostfree2.jpg
    frostfree2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 2,142
  • frostfree3.jpg
    frostfree3.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,844

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Annon I use similar exterior hose bibs on my projects here in Vancouver but prefer the 1/4 turn models. I suspect that that shut is missing a bleeding cap of sorts where you are getting the water stream from.

Try bringing it to EMCO or Bartle & Gibson for replacement parts.

Good Luck.

JW

Anon125

Reaction score
Annon I use similar exterior hose bibs on my projects here in Vancouver but prefer the 1/4 turn models. I suspect that that shut is missing a bleeding cap of sorts where you are getting the water stream from.

Try bringing it to EMCO or Bartle & Gibson for replacement parts.

Good Luck.

JW

thanks....

Anon125

Reaction score
Hello again folks!
well we found a new inner piece and so far it works.
it does not creak any more when opening/closing.
the only difference i see is that the new one has grease on the deep inside thread.
what kind of grease is it?
could that have been the problem all along!
thanks all

Attachments

• new frosfree3.jpg
    new frosfree3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,113
  • newfrostfree.jpg
    newfrostfree.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 5,039
  • new frosfree2.jpg
    new frosfree2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2,807

lanner900

Reaction score
Hi- I just fixed this problem.
The problem was at the end of the shaft. At the end of the shaft is the rubber seat that controls the water flow into the outer tube- note that this seal is actually a spring mounted assembly with another smaller o-ring on the other side. If some corrosion has built up around the end spring mounted assembly, water will leak up inside the inner shaft ( it is hollow) and out that hole by the valve handle. The idea of the spring mounted tip to the shaft assembly is that water pressure keeps the spring depressed and therefore the small o-ring stays forced closed, thereby preventing water from entering the hollow inner shaft. This is all part of how the tap is supposed to be frost free and anti-siphoning. Note also the the entire assembly should be mounted on the house such that there is a slight downward slope to the outside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks