(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: In Nh. friend with radon. needs water filter for radon

Default In Nh. friend with radon. needs water filter for radon

I have been helping a long term friend look for a house in Raymond NH. Well the house he really wants Has radon. The last test is from 2003. Has radon levels of 1.6. If he gets the house it will be retested. Well I know radon filters can be pricey. He knows this n is already looking for prices. If the sale goes thru it will be a sale. Should be cash in hand. Help with contacts or shoot me your phone number. Thank you.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A simple GAC system is an accepted method for Radon removal from the water, there are other treatments as well that are fairly inexpensive. http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drin...ase/radon.html http://www.wqa.org/sitelogic.cfm?ID=1378

here are two reliable resources regarding radon removal that you may find helpful.

I would suggest GAC also. Raymond is within our service area. PM me sometime and I'll price it out for you.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Empty your mail box tom
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

I just talked to the guy who owns the house my friend is looking to buy. He said the water filter thats in place is an Anaerobic system. It has what looks like golf balls in the tank. that just get flush out once a year or less often. Will this handle radon.
    Thank you very much for the help.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not sure without a picture or some more information, bt simple aeration can also be used for radon removal if my memory serves me correctly.

I would think that those suggesting the use of GAC would mention that using GAC for radon removal, causes you to end up with radioactive hazardous waste when it's time to replace the carbon. That tends to be very expensive and not easy to get rid of. And it's even more expensive, and life altering, if you simply throw it away and get caught doing so.

Since there is already radon removal equipment in place, simply test for radon after the equipment and if it is working, you or the friend, doesn't need other equipment.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I agree Gary Slusser. To the point of It's hard to believe that rinsing of the resin balls is just as good are removing and replacing Radioactive GAC. Does the resin work as well as GAC. Did my other friend get screwed and should think about getting the same type of set up as the resin tank. The sale of the house seems to be in full swing. It will all come down to the home inspector. I advised my friend to have the inspector test the inlet and outlet side of the tank to make sure its doing what i think it should.
    Thank you for your reply Gary Slusser and no its not me. I am not moving to NH any time soon. I am thinking about it though

Quote Originally Posted by patrick88 View Post
    I agree Gary Slusser. To the point of It's hard to believe that rinsing of the resin balls is just as good are removing and replacing Radioactive GAC. Does the resin work as well as GAC. Did my other friend get screwed and should think about getting the same type of set up as the resin tank. The sale of the house seems to be in full swing. It will all come down to the home inspector. I advised my friend to have the inspector test the inlet and outlet side of the tank to make sure its doing what i think it should.
    Thank you for your reply Gary Slusser and no its not me. I am not moving to NH any time soon. I am thinking about it though
    Well patrick eighty eighty, you said you were told golf balls (but ya may have thought goof ball), not resin balls and see I know that somewhere in New England there was/is a company that makes the "golf ball", more like a smallish Whiffel Ball really, equipment you mentioned and they, if still in business, were approved by the EPA. So was their equipment and the various states making up New England approved them and the equipment too. Radon is a big thing in New England. And there was or is a company up there that has approved equipment that uses aeration.

With the help of our friend Google and a few minutes, we could probably find some info on all that. BTW, I'm sure a home inspector knows what and how to test for it up there so she, it, the friend, is a she right, either way, whomever should be calm and assertive and non emotional.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Radon is indeed a big thing in New England and as many have found, a big way to make big money of the uneducated and it's not just water or air quality either. You would not believe all the quack stuff that gets pushed on little old ladies. Can you imagine going into a 200 year old farm home where the same family has lived since the day it was built and then telling the 90 year old gramdma still living there that she needs to mitigate the radon in her well before it kills her? For Christs sakes she's 93 and has drank that water her whole life............

Gary has a point about using GAC. The media will be full of all kinds of cancer causing nasties indeed but.....I'd bet 90% of the filtration companies are using it anyway because it works and it's reasonably inexpensive. I suspect most of them leave the mitigation of the used carbon up to the homeowner who most likely stuffs it into a garbage bag and leaves it at the curb for Waste Management.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

I'm sure GAC works just fine. I also daont blame anybody for offering it. Thats long term biz. lol
    I have not seen what the resin balls look like. The soon to be former owner called me. He told me they were golf ball sized. I am very sure my friend will get the house. Once he does I will get name model# n any other info I can get. He makes SciFi props. The 2 care garage will be turned into a workshop. He is thinking of running heat into the shop. I will be getting the model# and will size the house to the Hydronic heater thats there to see if it will handle the extra space.