(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Genetics and Lymphoma!

  1. #1

    Default Genetics and Lymphoma!

    Not good. Seven times higher for a sibling.

    Genetics

    Lymphoma can be the result of a genetic predisposition that is inherited from family members. It is possible to be born with certain genetic mutations or a fault in a gene that makes one statistically more likely to develop cancer later in life.


    Later for me, wasn't really that much later, I was 43 the first time. 49, the 5th time.

    I have had people ask me what it was like being on chemo. Being, I am a pro at it, I spent 5 years and 3 months doing so, total, I can answer that question by only saying, and to those with sensitive ears, put on your ear muffs and blinders, " it was ******* hard." No other way to describe it. Ask Terry, he will probably tell you too.

    So, for those of you who do plumbing, whatever, with possible bad things hanging around, use masks and gloves, just incase. The disease will blow you out of the water, and there is no place to hide. So, not talking about, not using commonsense and saying, and thinking, it won't happen to me, is just plain dumb.
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.

  2. #2
    ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,964
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Thanks for sharing Cookie. I try and use my mask as much as possible but am a little guilty of not using it enough. I say these things on the show "Dragons Den" that where like peel and stick nose screens. I've been looking for those with no luck.


    jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

    Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

  3. #3

    Default

    I pretty much stopped using all precautions, lol. I never did anything wrong to get anything, but, it still happened. So, I am trying a Seinfield skit, the one where George did the " opposite" and, all was hunky-dorey. So, now I smoke 2 packs a day. Only kidding! See, who is paying attention, lol.

    The "Dragons Den" that must be in your neck of the woods, I never saw that here. What is that John? It sounds interesting. I missed knowing about the nose peel screens, too. Is that for sun protection?

    I think, stress causes all kinds of bad things to a person's health. That is why, I honestly, eliminated what I could. You got one life to live and I will be damned if someone will tell me how to live mine. That kind of stress is not good. Like Terry's favorite song, " Be happy." People can be more toxic to another than if you drank asbestos. If you get sick, you sit alone in that chair getting draino dumped into your veins, no one sits with you. When you pass away, no one shares the box or urn with you, either. Just my thought for the day, intersting isn't it? LOL. Well, off to work, so, I can share the wealth
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-29-2012 at 09:05 AM.

  4. #4
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I pretty much stopped using all precautions, lol. I never did anything wrong to get anything, but, it still happened. So, I am trying a Seinfield skit, the one where George did the " opposite" and, all was hunky-dorey. So, now I smoke 2 packs a day. Only kidding! See, who is paying attention, lol.

    The "Dragons Den" that must be in your neck of the woods, I never saw that here. What is that John? It sounds interesting. I missed knowing about the nose peel screens, too. Is that for sun protection?

    I think, stress causes all kinds of bad things to a person's health. That is why, I honestly, eliminated what I could. You got one life to live and I will be damned if someone will tell me how to live mine. That kind of stress is not good. Like Terry's favorite song, " Be happy." People can be more toxic to another than if you drank asbestos. If you get sick, you sit alone in that chair getting draino dumped into your veins, no one sits with you. When you pass away, no one shares the box or urn with you, either. Just my thought for the day, intersting isn't it? LOL. Well, off to work, so, I can share the wealth
    Cookie : http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/

    It's like our "Shark Tank" on Friday nights, only the Canook version. In fact, the evil Kevin O'Leary dude is on it as well. I hate that snobby SOB. I hope it is just an act
    http://abc.go.com/shows/shark-tank
    Last edited by Terry; 05-29-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  5. #5
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I pretty much stopped using all precautions, lol. I never did anything wrong to get anything, but, it still happened. So, I am trying a Seinfield skit, the one where George did the " opposite" and, all was hunky-dorey. So, now I smoke 2 packs a day. Only kidding! See, who is paying attention, lol.

    The "Dragons Den" that must be in your neck of the woods, I never saw that here. What is that John? It sounds interesting. I missed knowing about the nose peel screens, too. Is that for sun protection?

    I think, stress causes all kinds of bad things to a person's health. That is why, I honestly, eliminated what I could. You got one life to live and I will be damned if someone will tell me how to live mine. That kind of stress is not good. Like Terry's favorite song, " Be happy." People can be more toxic to another than if you drank asbestos. If you get sick, you sit alone in that chair getting draino dumped into your veins, no one sits with you. When you pass away, no one shares the box or urn with you, either. Just my thought for the day, intersting isn't it? LOL. Well, off to work, so, I can share the wealth
    Oh yeah, that's one cheery post. OH yeah.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  6. #6

    Default

    lol. I was heading to work, and, as it was now, listen to this Bob. I ended up in a microburst! Wow! I couldn't get out of my car, I couldn't see to drive, and, the car was lifting up, not rocking back & forth, but, up & down! The lightening was horrible, the thunder was really loud. I was kind of scared to say the least. But, I figured, if the car was lifting up, if I go outside so, will I be for sure. So, I sat in the car, played the music and, waited. It seemed like it was never going to end. I drove up eventually, and parked infront of the place where I work, and ran out in it, and ran into a place that was flooding. Wow. Now, I was sloshing in water. This was not fun.

    But, I was happy

    I didn't want to go to work, lol. As it was I have to train a new girl tomorrow, and I don't want to do that either. Sooooo, you might read another "cheery" post, lol
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-29-2012 at 03:46 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Cookie : http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/

    It's like our "Shark Tank" on Friday nights, only the Canook version. In fact, the evil Kevin O'Leary dude is on it as well. I hate that snobby SOB. I hope it is just an act
    Hmmm, what is "shark tank" I think I missed that, too. I know some real snobby people, but, I am not one. I talk to everyone, The other day, I was walking into a lobby and, I see 2, 20's laying on the floor. I looked around and saw too many people to say, " did anyone lose this?" An older man walked by and said, " it is your lucky day." I looked at him, saw his hat, which said, " WW2 Purple Heart" and, said, " no this is your lucky day" and, tucked it into his pocket. Well, we must had talked for an hour. Then, his wife came over, and we talked, then, his kids, lol. I talk to people standing in the elevator. I like even elevator music.
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-29-2012 at 03:57 PM.

  8. #8
    ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,964
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    ...But, I was happy ....
    See Cookie - it was all those Negative Ions in the air making you will so good.


    jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

    Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

  9. #9
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Hmmm, what is "shark tank" I think I missed that, too. I know some real snobby people, but, I am not one. I talk to everyone, The other day, I was walking into a lobby and, I see 2, 20's laying on the floor. I looked around and saw too many people to say, " did anyone lose this?" An older man walked by and said, " it is your lucky day." I looked at him, saw his hat, which said, " WW2 Purple Heart" and, said, " no this is your lucky day" and, tucked it into his pocket. Well, we must had talked for an hour. Then, his wife came over, and we talked, then, his kids, lol. I talk to people standing in the elevator. I like even elevator music.
    And also very good was that his wife did not slap you in the face for flirting with her old man. Elevator music? I like lady Gaga music. Actually its her videos I like (blush).
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  10. #10

    Default

    Now, Lady Gaga? all that meat she wears makes me gag, lol. Wearing half a cow is just not sexy to me I am more a fish person, maybe, a Tuna Suit.

    But, that wife loved me, she told me take him, after 60 years she wanted out, lol. She told me, that he was driving her nuts. I could see this. We all sat on a bench in the lobby and he told me about his war days, which she knew by heart.

    Now, Hj, I had the most interesting drive home, from the eye doctors, I drove home blind. This is the truth... the whole truth. You will like this.

    I have been having this not so trivial eye problem, we had to rule out Mr. Hodgkins. Since, it was once in my ear, the eye is not forsaken. I get in the office, and, the doctor had to dilate my eyes, and he said, " you got a cyst! You got just a cyst!" With that, I could hear the girls in the hallway, cheering! Then, the door opened and everyone was in it, lol. I had my head in that sling like device, getting hugged and petted, and, I could hear some sniffling... Yeah, they like me. But, what is not to like, lol.

    Now, since there I figured might as well get new frames, since, my plan covers it. In the frames/glass part, I had at least 20 people, handing me different frames. Aren't some people great?

    Now, I had to drive home and since, I forgot to bring my sunglasses, I had to wear the really large, really really large, Mr. Magoo glasses they gave me. I guess my driving skills weren't up to snuff for at a red light a man yelled over, " WHAT ARE YOU BLIND!" Since, it is hot as hell here and my air doesn't work, my window was down, and when, I turned to look at him, wearing those Magoo glasses, he LOOKED, lol and then, waved okay to me,

    I really should wear those more often...

    Anyways, I got to have surgery on my eye, but, it is not Mr. Hodgkin. YEAH!
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-30-2012 at 03:22 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    See Cookie - it was all those Negative Ions in the air making you will so good.
    I need more, lol.

  12. #12

    Default

    Now, Bob, I trained the new girl this morning, and she was horrible! What an attitude, if I had the power she would had been dismissed on the spot. But, I still remained, cheery.

    Now, here is a site which is good to read. I already suffered with these, and I would not wish them on a dog. There are, just so you know, 5 people on this site, with Lymphoma who write to me, and, so, I kind of go between my own site or here to help others. http://www.caring.com/articles/who-g...medium=partner
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-30-2012 at 06:31 PM.

  13. #13
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    14,191
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I was looking for a shingles shot. My mother participated in a medical study for it. Safeway wants something like $215.00 for the shot as my co-pay.
    I may need to bite the bullet soon. I have most of the things in your article that you are supposed to watch for.
    The people I personally know that have had it would have paid most anything to have not had it.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I was looking for a shingles shot. My mother participated in a medical study for it. Safeway wants something like $215.00 for the shot as my co-pay.
    I may need to bite the bullet soon. I have most of the things in your article that you are supposed to watch for.
    The people I personally know that have had it would have paid most anything to have not had it.
    I remember you saying about your mom. If I could get the shingle shot, I would sell my soul to pay for it, but, if you got Lymphoma folks, that shot is not for you. You CANNOT get the shot.... reason is, it is a live virus and you will run the chance of getting it from the shot.

    Terry's mom would tell you, it is without a doubt and, I am NOT trying to scare anyone , I am trying to help others to see the light in getting the shot, Shingles is without a doubt, something you do not want. I would give my eyeteeth not to ever get it again. Anyone who have had it will tell you that.

    There are places, like Walgreen that offer it Terry, if you got them near you, give them a call. Unfortunately, I do not know the cost. But, please, trust me on this one, if you fit the bill on what the article states, and you talk to your doctor, it is worth every single penny.

    For added fun with Shingles, after the blisters go away, the pain does NOT. It is still there ... it wraps around my waist to the my back. I had it 2 times in the same place. Then, I had it coming down my face, to my eye.

    You mentioned the cost of copays. It can be extremely, expensive and they do add up. Usually, come tax time, if you itemize you can use your copays as a deduction. But, it does very little.
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-30-2012 at 08:55 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    I asked my friend, who is in the medical field, about getting the Shingle shot, inexpensively, and he reminded me of the Health Dept. They might do them, free or low cost. I do not know, if there are any finanacial guidelines or not, but, he also, suggested a Primary Caretaker, can do them, and they might be less, maybe, not, I guess it depends on different factors. Whatever, though, right now I got Shingles in my right eye, and, it is not all that pleasant to deal with. I really don't want to see anyone suffer with them. They can maybe be prevented for some folks, not for me, but, that is okay.

Similar Threads

  1. Calistoga in drug trials for lymphoma and leukemia treatments
    By Terry in forum Health and Wellness Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •