(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Rainbird 32SA problem

Question Rainbird 32SA problem

So I just finished my irrigation install - zones 1 and 2 both use Rainbird 42SA+ rotors. Zone 3 uses 32SA rotors. Both zones 1 and 2 work perfectly. However zone 3 is doing something strange. It looks like water is coming straight up through the arc adjustment screw (opposite side from the nozzle) in 5 of the 6 nozzles. Now my design calls for me to switch the nozzles out from the standard 3.0 down to a 1.0 to get the proper flow and radius which I have not done yet. So my pressure is running pretty low in this zone right now - only about 15psi - but it is still odd that low pressure would cause the flow to come straight up through this arc adjustment screw. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried Rainbird customer service? I'm not familiar with your area, but I would think there would be a Rainbird dealer in your city. I would avoid the Big Box Stores, chances of finding a clerk that was really knowledgeable is pretty slim.

I normaly see this happen as a zone starts till it reaches full pressure to seal the heads. Since these heads need about 30psi to seal I would go ahead and change the nozzles and see what improvement you get.

Are you sure you don't have a leak in that zone? I've had a similar problem in one zone where I frequently have had risers break Having a big underground leak will reduce the pressure in that entire zone and often prevent heads from sealing completely. Some Rainbird rotors will shoot water straight up through the arc adjustment screw hole when they aren't completely sealed (due to low pressure).

Thanks all! I replaced the 3.0 nozzles (that came pre-installed) with the 1.5 and 2.0 that my calcs showed I needed and all is well! Just had to order the nozzles from Rainbird which took a few days. Nobody carried them locally. All is almost well...I'll put my next problem in another thread...