(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shower Mixing Valve Replacement Advice

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't look up the wall, but it looks like 3/4" air chambers to me. I bet they have caps on them and they are about 16" long.

I would cut near the valve, and use couplings on the 1/2" pipe to the valve. It looks like you have some room to push the pipes apart there. You're almost done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I can't look up the wall, but it looks like 3/4" air chambers to me. I bet they have caps on them and they are about 16" long.

I would cut near the valve, and use couplings on the 1/2" pipe to the valve. It looks like you have some room to push the pipes apart there. You're almost done now.
    Thanks, Terry. If I understand you correctly, the job will be alot easier than I thought.

You are saying that I only need to cut the 1/2" pipe at the old valve and use couplings? I will be able to slide the couplings up the shower/tub pipes, so that is not an issue. However, you think that I will be able to bend the 3/4" pipes far enough to fit in the couplings in areas marked A and B on the attached pic? I'll only have about 1/2" of copper pipe coming off the 3/4" pipe after cutting off the old valve and another 1/2" coming from the new valve. Is that enough material to get a good solder connection?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

I think you will find that when the pipe is cut, that you will be able to move the copper pipes enough to work on that. You may need some short pieces of pipe to make up the difference. You will want to remove the water in the line, maybe a vacuum will do that.

I think you will find that when the pipe is cut, that you will be able to move the copper pipes enough to work on that. You may need some short pieces of pipe to make up the difference. You will want to remove the water in the line, maybe a vacuum will do that.
    Thanks. Won't the water drain out of the cut pipes and open faucets inside the house?

Blog Entries

It looks like the pipe dips down below the valve.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Terry's point should be investigated! WHere does that pipe go when it goes up? If it is just a stub that is capped, it is a waste and you can eliminate it entirely. That would make it much easier.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Valve Fitting Advice

I request valve fitting advice. As you can see, I've cut off the old valve and have around 1/2" clearance between the 4 pipes and the new valve. I was expecting to slide the couplings up the top and bottom pipes and then slide them down when the new valve is in place. However, the couplings don't want to go further than about 1/2 their length. Is this how you are supposed to fit the valve?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

I would think that the pipes to the side will move outward, allowing insertion into the valve. You may need to go beyond the studs and work from the verticals coming down.
    The tub spout can go in last if needed.

But you're committed now. Chop out whatever you need to get that thing in there.

You are using couplings with a "stop" that prevents them from sliding more than half-way onto the pipe; get couplings without the stop (aka a "repair coupling") and you'll be all set. You'll have to be sure that the coupling is held in place (with a screwdriver perhaps) when you solder those joints so the coupling spans each pipe about the same amount.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A repair coupling does not have a stop in the middle, so you can slide it anywhere you need, then slide it back to, ideally being centered around the two pieces of pipe. Keeping it there while soldering can sometimes be a pain, especially on the verticals so maybe a vice grip to hold it, or bend it slightly so it stays in place
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Do I have to start over?

I completed the valve installation only to find during pressure testing that I neglected to solder one each coupling joint to the tub and shower pipes. When I went back to solder the two joints, I found that the joints wouldn't suck in the solder. Did the leaking water affect the flux? What are my options besides starting over?

Blog Entries

Water will wash out the flux.
    No worries. Just disassemble, clean up, flux and solder.

It's part of the learning process. We've all done that.

Water will wash out the flux.
    No worries. Just disassemble, clean up, flux and solder.

It's part of the learning process. We've all done that.
    Crud. Assembly was a bitc*. Disassembly and reassembly will be a pain too. Well, like you said, its all part of the learning process. Thanks Terry.