Two inch well question

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
LLigetfa, i like how you think. seems i've seen such a diagram, at the flint & walling website, i think.
what's the trade-off with this configuration...why wouldn't we normally assemble it this way?
Sorry, I missed this question. A jet pump pushes better than it pulls, so putting the jet/venturi as low as possible produces the best results.

As for Porky's last comment, I'm confused. I have not seen any bad advice and in fact the only advice is justwater which I agreed with. Whether or not you would pull sediment or contaminated water through the hole in the casing if the lower leather was not used, is anyone's guess since we don't have details on the well, formation, etc..

liam o k

Reaction score
i've determined there is hole in the 2" casing at about 14.5 ft. my intention tomorrow is to reinsert the well pipe with the foot valve on the bottom, the 1" pipe up to about 13.5 ft.below the well head, the ejector packer, then the balance of the pipe to the well head. if anyone sees fault with this plan, please inform me. thanks

(don't know why, but i didn't see the last six postings 'til just now)

Last edited:

liam o k

Reaction score
i'm sorry, justwater, but i'm not totally clear on you description. i understand the intent to create a seal above and below the hole in the 2" while letting the 1" pass through, but you say "however much 1" pvc to get a hair past where the jet was set originally"--- it was originally set near the bottom of the well; --- "on the bottom of the pvc... a 3rd leather cup to seal off the bottom of the pvc." in my mind's eye, that looks like a 1" diameter deep well. after the third leather cup is affixed, then what? an open pipe? a foot valve? am i right to assume the cups are actually to be seated just above and just below the hole, while the remainder of the pipe continues to the bottom of the well? your plan is the direction i'd like to go in the morning, so please reply.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
it's just an open pipe off the jet/check with seal at bottom to block hole. u know u can put the bottom seal 30' total so don't go less. The more old steel pipe u can comfortably block off the better off u are.

or u can come strait off the jet assembly with the tailpipe (no inline check valve) and set a footvalve at the 30' with a seal just above the foot.

Good luck.

Last edited:

liam o k

Reaction score
many thanks!! one more question: i recall there's a dispute--- to soak or not to soak leathers. i worry about pushing a seated leather over the hole and down a likely corroded pipe. any thoughts?

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
i do not soak leathers. I just flare them out with a flathead screwdriver and install. they can soak/swell when set in place.

liam o k

Reaction score
it's holding water!!! today, the pump...

i'm a historic hone renovator and antique tool woodworker who, unfortunately, lives in a modern world. so i'm occasionally forced to seek help with computer software and hardware. (i'm also poor, so nothing's ever new.) i comb through pages of insulting, back-biting and positively uncivilized behavior at the computer help sites, hoping to find buried, rare pieces of sincere advice. what a breath of fresh air to come to a site like this, where the only input is knowledgeable effort to actually help a poor ignoramus like me. thanks to everyone. i'll let you know how it comes out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks