Can I use a (mistakenly purchased) 3-way switch as a single pole switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Erico

Reaction score
It's a double (rocker/decora) switch I intend to separately switch two fixtures.

There are three brass screws marked B1, A1, and A2. And two black "common" screws.

I saw the electrician at my mother-in-laws kitchen job jump some wires to use a three way dimmer as a single pole. Just didn't watch him close enough.

picture attached

rocker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Why would you need to jump anything...?

Common and 2 travellers... If you switch to a traveller that connects to nothing, nothing will happen.

Erico

Reaction score
Use the common ( black terminal) and either of the other two.

There are two commons and three other brass screws. I'm guessing either common for the hot-in and the A1 A2 screws out to the fixtures. Yes?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
There are two commons and three other brass screws. I'm guessing either common for the hot-in and the A1 A2 screws out to the fixtures. Yes?

You have 2 x 3-way switches built into one.

Each of them has a common and TWO travellers...

The TWO switches work INDEPENDENTLY.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
that is a decora 5641 switch. 1 way with a 3 way switch combined into a single gang. the a1 and a2 are for the 3 way switch portion, and the b1 is for the single pole switch. the switches separate at the mid portion of the switch. the b portion is the bottom of the switch. as was said, to use the 3 way switch, use either the a1 or a2 terminal, either one will work. if you have one feed in and you want that single feed to operate two switches, just hook to one of the common terminals (black screw). either one will do, since there is a piece of copper plate that joins the two together. if you had two feeds from different sources, then you would break that copper tab to separate the common terminals and each switch would have it's own feed and be independant of the other switch.

Last edited:

Erico

Reaction score
that is a decora 5641 switch. 1 way with a 3 way switch combined into a single gang. the a1 and a2 are for the 3 way switch portion, and the b1 is for the single pole switch. the switches separate at the mid portion of the switch. the b portion is the bottom of the switch. as was said, to use the 3 way switch, use either the a1 or a2 terminal, either one will work. if you have one feed in and you want that single feed to operate two switches, just hook to one of the common terminals (black screw). either one will do, since there is a piece of copper plate that joins the two together. if you had two feeds from different sources, then you would break that copper tab to separate the common terminals and each switch would have it's own feed and be independant of the other switch.

The way I have it wired now is: hot wire from source in to one of the common (black) screws. Two wires out to the (2) separate fixtures. One of the two wires out is attached to A1 ..... the other is attached to A2.

Seems to be working as needed.

See any problems?

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
The way I have it wired now is: hot wire from source in to one of the common (black) screws. Two wires out to the (2) separate fixtures. One of the two wires out is attached to A1 ..... the other is attached to A2.

Seems to be working as needed.

See any problems?
when you flip the top switch (3 way), you will have power out to either a1 or a2, not both at the same time from what you described. a1 (or a2, your choice) and b1 is what you need to use both switches.

Last edited:

Erico

Reaction score
when you flip the top switch (3 way), you will have power out to either a1 or a2, not both at the same time from what you described. a1 (or a2, your choice) and b1 is what you need to use both switches.

OK thanks for your help. I thought it was working as needed but it's hard to tell until I hook up the fixtures. Climbing up and down the ladder with the circuit tester testing scenarios isn't easy. One fixture is going to be an outlet above the cabinets I built (for puck lights/down light and rope lights/ up-light) (see picture). The other fixture will be a display light in the center bay for art. (this pic was made before I drilled the holes).

I'll switch to A1, B1

Attachments

• canda16.jpg
    canda16.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 7,843

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you only have THREE brass screws, then you must have a combination single pole/3 way switch. We cannot tell WHICH screws do what, but B1 should be the single pole and A1 and A2 are the travelers for the 3 way. You can attact to either of the 3 way's terminals, but one will be on when the switch is turned up and the other will turn it on when the switch is down. Many dimmers can be single pole or 3 way, but they do NOT use jumpers to do it, you just cap off a wire.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks