No cold water in the shower

Users who are viewing this thread

fabs

Reaction score
photo.jpg

Hi,

Over the last few weeks, the water temperature in my shower has been rising gradually. At first, the solution was simply to lower the temperature but now I'm afraid that something else needs to be done. Even when set to the coldest temperature, the water that comes out of the shower head is scolding hot. I've been living here for 1,5 years and this is the first time something like this happens. I can still get cold tap water.

I live in an area with lots of calcium in the water (I need to put water softener in the dish washer regularly).

Please find attached a picture of the blender (make: Grohe).

I hope that you can help!

Kind regards,
Fabian

fabs

Reaction score
Is it OK to tap/hit the valve with a hammer to loosen up whatever's inside? Is there a chance that it would help? I've tried turning the temperature setting up and down quickly which makes the water a little bit colder and increases the water pressure, however the general temperature is still much hotter than what it should be. This together with fact that it has changed gradually makes me a bit perplexed as to what it is that's causing the problem.

fabs

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.

The left handle controls water pressure and the right one controls temperature, but I think that the flow is uneven. Can the calcium in the water block valves? I need to call a plumber if I want to turn the water off so I'm trying to fix this without opening anything up. Do you think that's possible? I appreciate the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On many Grohe valves, they have water filter screens on the inlets to the valve. The cold screen could be nearly plugged up with crud. If that isn't it, then the thermostatic cartridge is shot and likely needs to be replaced. Both would require the water to be turned off to access and repair or replace.

If the screen IS plugged up, then you should try to figure out with what so you can try to solve the issue that caused it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks