What's behind the wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

agh2112

Reaction score
I just came across this post by johnfrwhipple

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...-surrounds&highlight=maximum+thickness+mastic

There is a picture of a pre-existing job that looks exactly like the bathroom in my house. I guess it is a standard cheap approach? Or the same guy came out from BC all the way to Ontario to do my house? Here is the pic John posted:

IMG_4079.jpg

I am going to replace my tiles & tub some day but it's the only bathroom in the house so I need to plan ahead to minimize downtime. At the head of the tub in your pictures there is a bit of a half wall tiled over and serving as a toiletries shelf. Is that frequently done? Is there usually anything inside there, like plumbing or framing or whatever? If it's just wasted space then I could plan for a longer tub, or I could build in a little storage cabinet with a slide out drawer on the narrow side.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No way to know until you open it. Personally, I would never go to all that trouble with the shelf, unless it was absolutely necessary due to structure. Can't tell from the photo but it seems to be a standard 5' tub, so maybe they did that because the room was laid out at 6'

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Removing that "bulkhead" would make changing the tub a bit easier, but even with it there, there would be minimal "downtime" if a plumber changes the tub. About four hours from start of removal to turning the water on in the new tub.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Nothing behind the wall but drywall and studs. I still can't believe this install lasted so long.

I think a 5' tub is better than a 6' or a 5.5' tub. They are just more comfortable to sit in since you can keep yourself from sliding down the tub with your feet. Framing in some niches, glass display shelves and the like can be a pain and add to the cost of both framing and tiling - but so worth it in the end.

Using a liquid waterproofing product makes the waterproofing much easier when you do these types of installs.

Before you buy any tub - climb in it. Sit down and Chill-Axe!!! If you have a deep space you can make a nice deep shampoo niche.

Here is a little inspiration on shampoo niche's from my Idea Book on Houzz.com

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/42722/thumbs/Shower-niches---How-many-and-where-to-place-them-

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks