Delta handle question - Trying to remodel a delta 3 handle bath valve system

Users who are viewing this thread

keithwwalker

Reaction score
Hi

I have a real old Delta 3 handle bath/shower valve system. The job started out just with replacement of the shower walls and since I was in there, it made sense to replace the valve cartridges and spring/seals so that it would be good for a long time.

Then I decided that if I could replace the plastic 'crystal' knobs with something more up to date, that it would be really great. Those plastic pieces don't hold up well. This is where I need some help.

It has been really hard finding information about the existing system on the internet, so I will describe it as best I can with the help of some hyperlinks.

First question:
It appears that H24 levers can be used on this system (see page 2 of pdf). How are these levers different from H64 levers?
Delta H24NN

Delta H64NN
DELTA-h64.jpg

Second question:
I am having trouble figuring out which escutcheons and sleeves to use for the H24 levers. The old crystal handles had a stem and cover plate as shown on page 4 of the pdf and the stem protruded into the crystal handle.

Those stems are about 2 inches long and stick out about 1 inch from the wall, such that the new H24 levers will not meet the escutcheon. I believe the proper escutcheon to use is the RP23094nn
RP23094NN.jpg

Is there a shorter stem that will work with the H24 levers?

I purchased replacement stem sleeves RP18136, but they are too long too (same length as the old stem sleeves):
RP18136-B1.tif

The RP23094nn escutcheon that goes with the H24 levers is a face mount, and its thread doesn't appear to travel far enough in to meet the RP18136 sleeve thread.

Is there an adapter that can be used?

Thanks,
KWW

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You found a pretty good resource there. Bottom line for sure is you need to get the set...escutcheon, extender,sleeve, handle...that are specified to go together. I can't tell you for sure that every set fits every rough in. Definitely there is only ONE stem, just different extenders

You might also find that not all those parts are available. Most of that is NOT available from Delta anymore, but the aftermarket companies still make some of it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is a hot/cold/diverter setup? If so, you really should consider replacing the whole thing with an entire new valve (if it is used as a shower as well) with one meeting todays federal anti-scald regulations. Depending on where you live, the mods you are making qould require it during this remodel to get a building permit (which is also likely required).

keithwwalker

Reaction score
Yes it is a hot/cold/diverter setup. The goal is to replace the valve cartridges, and levers; but not the rough in (it is in good condition). I don't believe that a permit is called out for cartridge replacement.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A lot of places would say that opening the walls constitutes a remodel and would call for upgrade to current code. We are not the code police, so knock yourself out. But consider where you are TODAY: wanting parts for a valve which has been out of production for 10 to 15 years. Some ability to repair leaks...limited availability of handle parts, etc. Where will you be 10 years from now, with your new tile walls which you hoped would be undisturbed for 25 years? THAT is why we suggest a new valve./

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
New valves are pressure balanced or thermostatically controlled. The old two and three handles valves don't have that.
Not only is it going to be harder and harder to find the parts for the old valves, they just weren't that good to begin with.

keithwwalker

Reaction score
All I wish to do is change the handles.
The parts are still obtainable, and the replacement valve seals and cartridges are already installed.
There is also an existing tempering valve by the water heater.
fwiw, I have found some answers:
The H24 handles are generally for sinks, and the H64 are generally for roman tubs. The rough ins are fundamentally different (horizontal vs vertical stems), so I am probably stuck with replacing the existing handles in kind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks