Toto toilet flapper problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
gasket, so I can’t imagine that’s the issue
- the fill tube is stuck in the overflow tube not above it but that doesn’t explain the leak
This is the likely reason why the water drains...the refill hose MUST be above the overflow, or it can siphon the tank.

fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabihun

Reaction score
This is the likely reason why the water drains...the refill hose MUST be above the overflow, or it can siphon the tank.

fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

I'm sorry, I really don't understand. Right now I am sitting here looking at the tank. I filled it up to just above the flapper. I am now watching as it drains out. How does that relate to what you're saying with the refill tube in the overflow? I'm really not trying to be dense just need to understand as I am at my wits end.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
- the fill tube is stuck in the overflow tube not above it but that doesn’t explain the leak
My next step was going to be disconnecting the tank and replacing the gasket between the tank and bowl.

Turning off the water to the tank, to what level does the water drop? If to the flapper level, that's normally the surface of the flush valve or the flapper. I've been using some Fluidmaster flappers with success.

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited:

Jabihun

Reaction score
Turning off the water to the tank, to what level does the water drop? If to the flapper level, that's normally the surface of the flush valve or the flapper. I've been using some Fluidmaster flappers with success.

Drains down just below the flapper but above the black flush valve gasket. I did notice there is some play in the tank. meaning I can shift the tank around a bit so maybe that play is allowing the leak in the flush valve gasket.

I've tried 4 different flappers with no luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did notice there is some play in the tank. meaning I can shift the tank around a bit so maybe that play is allowing the leak in the flush valve gasket.
That is not normal. You should tighten the tank bolts so that there is enough play to allow a sheet of paper to fit between the tank and bowl contact points when you push the tank, but maybe not so much that you could fit a business card.

I am not saying that is contributing to your leaking. In your case, I suspect that the big nut under the flush valve (spud nut) is not tight enough. I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

Jabihun

Reaction score
I tried a couple more things:

1. Tightened the nuts attaching the tank - test failed still drained
2. Bought a Korky kit that came with a ring, silicone, and a new flapper. The ring is placed on top of the flush valve assembly (plastic overflow pipe) to see if I can get a better seal - test failed and it still drained.

Now I am about to replace the entire flush valve with a new gasket. If that doesn't work I'm planning on burning the bathroom down completely toilet included.

Reach4

Reaction score
Now I am about to replace the entire flush valve with a new gasket.
That is going to work. Sand down any protrusions on the tank where the gaskets meet the tank. You could consider silicone grease under the gaskets. That is not commonly done, and it is probably not needed.

Tighten the spud nut enough.

Addison

Reaction score
Jabihuni had a similar issue as well, i replaced all the hardware inside and the flapper mutliple times and could not find the issue. Overnight, it would drain to the point that by the morning, the bowl was almost empty.

I kept troubleshooting and ending up finding the issue to be the gasket between the Tank and Bowl. I replaced the gasket and made sure the tank was tight to the bowl and that resolved my issue. Best of luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks