Sediment in pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Jack Mansoura

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum.

I recently installed a new shallow well in my bakery for water cooled refrigeration. My previous well was installed by a company who did a pretty lousy job, so i decided to install the new one myself. I have a small problem, I've had to replace my pressure switch 2 times since February. I believe there's some ultra fine sediment getting into the pressure switch causing it to stick in the off position. Does anyone know of a solution for this problem??

I know an inline filter is out of the question, and so is a sand separator before the pump inlet. Is the any kind of different pressure switch i can use?

Also, I don't know if this would work but what if rather than having the small line from the pump to the switch go one way. Suppose it was tee'd off on both side so the water circulated to the switch and back around? Could that work, maybe it would wash the grit back out?

Here is what I'm working with:
5' Johnson Vee-wire stainless well point slot sizes .008". Driven down 25', static water level is about 14' so there is ample water.
Goulds 1hp jet pump with Square-D 30-50 pressure switch
Amtrol WX-350 tank (119 gallon)

Here are a few pics. Thanks in advance people!

574 small.jpg575 small.jpg576 small.jpg

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Your well may not be fully developed. I prefer developing wells with an air compressor by running a small air line with a 3' steel npple on the bottom for weight. Turn the air on and pump the well until clear of all sediment.
NOTE: This may present a problem in your situation because it's going to blow water everywhere!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I agree with Porky and valveman. With pumps where the pressure switch does not have to hang off the side of the motor, mounting it higher on a longer 3/8" pipe helps to keep the sediment out.

BTW, in most jurisdictions, it is a code violation to use an extension cord as permanent wiring. Get a proper outlet wired in.

Jack Mansoura

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I just looked for some videos on developing because I didn't know what it was. So basically you just shove a compressed air hose down there and let it run??

Before I connected the jet pump I hand pumped water until it was clear to get everything out.

@LLigetfa, those pics were before the electrician came. There is a dedicated line for that pump.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Hand pumping only pumps a well. Developing a well with air developes a well to it's fullest capacity and brings in and blows out all sediment. Yes, basically blowing a well is just installing an air line in the well and blowing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks