Rheem/Richmond safety system

Users who are viewing this thread

RRW

Reaction score
Can somone give a short description of the safety system that Rheem uses? All references to it simply say that it is "one trip" if it is triggered by volatile inflammable material and would need to be reset by a "technician" Apparently something glass breaks if the system is triggered. TNx, RW

RRW

Reaction score
I have now found a web site that shows the Rheem does have a glass vial in place. If the glass vial shatters the mechanical system is triggered. Thanks for your efforts. RW

Reaction score
I have now found a web site that shows the Rheem does have a glass vial in place. If the glass vial shatters the mechanical system is triggered. Thanks for your efforts. RW

Can you provide the link to it? Controls and trips change periodically too so it is possible that it is or was that way in some models and has changed. I know I've read of the problem you refer to and the glass being broken.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The suggestion to 'bend' the contacts if the bulb breaks, sounds like the old practice of putting a penny under a burned out fuse. It looks like a piece of 1/4" bolt would also replace the bulb. They say to replace the heater under warranty, but I am not sure if YOU having a can of gasoline next to the heater would qualify as a "factory defect" when the FVIR was activated. The FVIR is a safety feature and when your actions cause it to work, it has done its job. It would be a defect if it DID NOT work. American also had a "one time" FVIR system, originally, with a left hand thread thermocouple. You had to replace the entire burner/pilot system when it failed, but no one carried the replacement so you had to get it from American. If you wanted it fast, you paid $40.00 air freight, otherwise you went without hot water for a week. The replacements had a resettable FVIR switch.

Last edited:

RRW

Reaction score
Several other possibilities listed that are totally labelled do not do this. In my case I would not do any of that but it would not matter as my furnace is right next to my heater and has an open pilot, so it would do the job by itself. Interestingly, before I had my Whirlpool 12 with 5 years left on the warranty I had my daughter reach under with a brush and try to clear the intake. Upon examining it after removal it was somewhat cleared in the middle but still pretty clogged at the ends of the grid. Hope the Richmond does better!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks