Totally Horizontal T in venting - not as easy as it look.

Users who are viewing this thread

nocluetoo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm hoping for some insight into what looks easy, but has been impossible to find information on.

On one wall of my home, at opposite ends of the wall, I have two (dry) vents coming up to (near) ceiling height. On the opposite wall, in the middle of the building is the 3" vent stack they need to get to.
Pictured here (rough sketch just to show layout and relationship of the vents)
1207 horizontal vents in T.jpg

Original thought: Run the two vents along the wall to a T in the middle, which would then go across to the roof vent. But, no.. what sort of T? Santees and Wyes don't really make sense.
Do i have to do something odd with joining one of the vents into the bottom of the other then back and around?
Along these lines:
1207 horizontal vents in T possible solution.jpg

Other suggestions?

Thanks,

g.wagner

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Using a santee makes a great deal of sense, since it is perfectly acceptable anywhere I know of, and it costs 1/5 as much as a vent tee, typically.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not necessary to offset it as you show. It is a vent, no fluid waste, and since the volume and velocity of air flow is minor compared to the actual capacity of the pipe, the "sweep" of fittings is not so critical. A regular vent tee, keeping all three pipes on the same plane, would be my choice. Be careful to have a little slope, with no valleys in the runs,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Air does not flow the same way as water so a regular sanitary tee is acceptable, except when you have an inspector who only knows "what" is in the book, but not "why". Then you would use a twin elbow, or a vent tee which is not directional. There are other possible "creative" solutions in the horizontal plane, but they all require more fittings than you really need.

nocluetoo

Reaction score
Thanks all, very much appreciated. Slightly reassuring that the logical way is actually correct. I was concerned that, since any water that does get into the vent must flow back to the drain, there was some odd requirement that it had to predictably flow to a specific drain, not just any drain. Too much time on computers thinking things need to be deterministic, I guess. ;)

Cheers,

g.wagner

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I was concerned that, since any water that does get into the vent must flow back to the drain, there was some odd requirement that it had to predictably flow to a specific drain, not just any drain. Too much time on computers thinking things need to be deterministic, I guess. ;)
You sound like a fellow engineer ... always thinking too much:cool:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Maybe like the one who ordered a bearing from a piece of 3/4" brass rod with a 7/8" hole bored down the middle, then wondered why he got a box of shavings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks