Circuit Breaker Lockout for Exit Signs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
OK, yes I will ask the fireman that wrote this up when I can get ahold of him, but I wanted to ask you:

The Fire Marshal just inspected a fairly sizable Mall near me, and as fate would have it, I know one of the merchants who got tagged. Apparently almost everyone got the same to-do list.

Get the exit signs tested by an electrical contractor. OK. Get him to certify what you have works or get it replaced. OK. Figure out which breaker in the panel feeds it. Well, OK. If you insist. Mark it as such. Well, sure, while we are at it, yeah.

Now. Provide a "lock out". I don't get it. My thinking on lock outs is their utility in a large industrial plant where there is frequent need to shut down power to something that is well out of view of the panel.

Why would anyone need to "lock out" an emergency exit sign? Why would you ever need to deliberately turn it off. Unless you were replacing it, but the the logic applies to all the circuits in the store, yes?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
He doesn't want it accidentially turned off, i.e. a deliberate action must be required. It's possible that in doing some maintenance, the operator might just turn multiple things off just when they are needed the most.

Reaction score
He doesn't want it accidentially turned off, i.e. a deliberate action must be required. It's possible that in doing some maintenance, the operator might just turn multiple things off just when they are needed the most.

OK, I need to find lock-outs that can lock the toggle in the on position. Obviously the breaker can still trip even if the toggle is locked.

Hmmmm. I wonder how universal lockouts are? I've not needed to install any before. Most of the panels are three phase......

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Besides the "universal" breaker lock out, each manufacturer has those specific to their breakers. Exit signs, emergency lights, and "local fire systems" all need lockouts to prevent them from being disabled by flipping the breakers. They do not "deliberately" get turned off, but if someone is looking for a particular circuit, they WILL turn off every breaker and may forget to turn the safety ones back on. The lock out prevents them from turning it off, unless it is the one they are working on, in which case they remove it and hopefully replace it when they are done.

Last edited:

marygrace

Reaction score
what is the purpose of having this circuit breaker lockout? Thanks a lot for all the help then and I love it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks