new toilet in non-roughed in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

toozie21

Reaction score
I did some searching, but couldn't come up with anything tangible. I am in the researching/planning/dreaming stages of putting in a half bath in my basement. The area where the bathroom would go is un-finished, but not roughed in at all. I have a septic line that is about 5-6ft off the ground that I would need to tap into. Is there anything I should be reading up on to watch the gotchyas and to make planning more realistic? I am thinking that I need to watch for venting, a grinder to pump teh waste up, a rear-ejector vs standard, breaking up the cement or not. Seems like a lot of potential issues, but I would imagine it isn't super uncommon. Any words or links of wisdom?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most plumbers would cut or break the concrete and install a sewage ejector.
The plumbing to those is done as you normally would , everything vented. The sump also gets a 2" vent.

Or you can get a above ground pumping system, and leave the concrete alone. The advantage to going below slab, is that the shower or tub; if installed would be a floor level. Also, you leave your options open for fixtures.

I always hire a "wet saw" contractor for the job.
He comes out with all the tools, and all I do is move the vacuum cleaner around to suck up the wet slurry.

Last edited:

toozie21

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Terry. I am only doing a half bath, so no need to worry about the shower/tub (though it might be nice for future occupants).

Which one do you guys generally recommend (breaking the concrete versus the rear ejector). I thought I had heard that the rear ejectors were so-so on quality, though I imagine breaking the concrete could get costly and be a little more difficult.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you go with an ejector pump, you're opening up the possibility of using any standard fixtures (toilets, tub/shower, etc.). If you go with a rear discharge, integrated system, you're quite limited. It also makes the use of something like a washing machine.

Cutting concrete isn't really all that hard, but it can be messy. If you hire it out, they can make nice clean cuts and minimize the dust. Now, if you're a 90-pound weakling, it gets a little harder to do yourself - it is physical work.

toozie21

Reaction score
If you go with an ejector pump, you're opening up the possibility of using any standard fixtures (toilets, tub/shower, etc.). If you go with a rear discharge, integrated system, you're quite limited. It also makes the use of something like a washing machine.

Cutting concrete isn't really all that hard, but it can be messy. If you hire it out, they can make nice clean cuts and minimize the dust. Now, if you're a 90-pound weakling, it gets a little harder to do yourself - it is physical work.

Breaking the concrete and going with the ejector pump always seemed like the "better" approach in my mind. I don't mind doing some physical work, and my recent eating habits have pushed me well past the 90 lbs limit. I just wasn't sure how difficult it could be (I have worked outdoor concrete saws, but never a jackhammer).

So in the end, do you leave a pit for the pump to sit in (so you can have access to it for repairs)?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The motor is in the tank, the tank is installed in the pit...once installed, no need to access the outside of the tank, only the motor in the tank.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I found it easiest and neatest to saw cut the concrete, and then break out only what needs be with a sledgehammer to get the basin and plumbing under the floor. Carrying out buckets full of broken concrete is probably the toughest part of the work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks