Pumps keeps going off every hour

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexdc99

Reaction score
pump keeps going off every hour

For the last day I have heard the well pump going off every hour or so. I have no leaks so I am thinking my one way valve before the pump is slightly open allowing pressure to return to the well. I have a 30 foot surface well with 1 1" solid line run in to the basement to a Diamind Jet pump. Am I on the right track in thinking this is my problem. If not I cannot think of anywhere else I am loosing pressure.

Thanks

Last edited:

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Could be a leaking check valve, but a little more likely it's a problem with the pressure tank.
Turn the pump off, drain the water pressure off, and check the pressure tank with a tire gauge. It should read two psi below your pump cut-on pressure (i.e., if your pump is set for 20-40 cut-on/cut-off, it should be at 18 psi).
If it is low, air it up with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor.
If it won't hold this pressure while not running (the pressure tank should be at the cut-off psi after the pump runs and shuts off), then you probably need to replace the pressure tank. The bladder is shot.
If the pressure tank is O.K., replace the check valve.
Good Luck!
Mike

Alexdc99

Reaction score
Thanks, I will check the tank pressure when the water pressure has been removed. If I need to buy a new pressure tank what is the optimal size to go with. I have a smallish tank now maybe 20 gallons or so, I'd have to go check to be sure.

Now that I think of it, I have noticed a different amount of water pressure coming out after the pump has ran to full pressure. Sometime I get a normal amount of water flow and other times I can see and feel the pressure is more.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
To prove the theory of a leak back to the well, shut off the water to the house and watch the pressure gauge for 30 minutes. If the pressure falls, you have a leak from the pump back to the foot valve in the well. Usually it is the foot valve but it could be the plumbing down the well or underground to the house.

If the pressure holds, then you have a leak in the house. The usual cause is toilet flapper valves leaking water into the bowl or the water level is too high and running over the overflow tube. Adjust the water level height to 1" below the top of the overload tube.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Alexdc99

Reaction score
My pressure tank is a well-X-Trol, blue.

I have a a foot valve at the bottom of the well and I also have a check valve right before pump in the basement.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Try what Gary suggested. If you don't have a leak in the house, remove the check valve and see if it get's worse.

bob...

Alexdc99

Reaction score
I have found the problem, someone left and outside hose attached and primed with water. It was leaking a small bit.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Quote "I have no leaks"

Seems like you did have a leak. Closing the main valve would have proved that.

I still recommend removing the check valve.

bob...

Alexdc99

Reaction score
I didn't expect my son to go out back in the snow and put a hose on to rise a drum out and leave everything hooked up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks