Automated Pure Water 12"x60" Retention Tank - Good stuff or BS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Muff

Reaction score
Anyone out there using the Automated Pure Water retention tank? I'm tight on space and this product sounds to good to be true. A 12"x60" tank that out performs a 120 gal. tank. The design kind'a makes sense .

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have no experience with it and although the claims sound impressive there is a lack of operational information on the site that makes it difficult for me to be able to judge whether or not it is a viable product. If their warranty backs up their claims and the cost is not ridiculously higher than a standard tank then I suppose it's worth giving it a try.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You can view the patent on this gadget at http://www.google.com/patents/US7600911, which describes the inner workings in excruciating detail. My only concern is that the smaller time spent in the tank might not allow adequate time for contact (to kill microorganisms). I'm also not convinced that there's adequate time for settling, in spite of their claims -- gravity only works so fast. They might have lab test data available

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I sold hundreds of them over about 10 years and never had a problem with any but one broken bottom drain elbow the customer broke.

When you thoroughly mix a disinfectant into the water stream to be disinfected or for oxidizing H2S, iron etc. etc., the contact time required is greatly reduced.

The dirty water getting out of all retention tanks must be filtered but, the design of the bottom end of the distributor tube causes most of any sediment to fall to the bottom of the tank.

IIRC the product has been on the market for 15-20 years and mostly is sold to dealers by the manufacturer and that doesn't happen if a product doesn't do as claimed.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I to have not used one of these tanks but I can see where it has a better mixing ability over the standard retention tank. If you think about it, an injection pump injects, has a pause, then injects again. The whole time water is passing the injection point. Injecting into a chamber where the water is churned up will have a quicker mixing which starts the disinfection sooner. Thats how I see it.

Mikey

Reaction score
Doesn't look like injection occurs in the fancy tank -- the tank just mixes up the injected water. I've already got a tank, so I've asked them if they'll sell just the swirly thing.

Update: I had a nice conversation with the inventor of this gizmo. Turns out the tank I've got already has the swirly-thing in it, hidden in the tube, so I'll give it a try and accumulate some experience with it.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...I've asked them if they'll sell just the swirly thing.

Looks like they have the chem mixer available as an in-line device.

http://www.apwinc.com/chemmixer.html
chemmixer.jpg

Mikey

Reaction score
That looks something like it, but it's missing the bottom baffle, which is needed in the in-tank application. I could probably just add the in-line mixer between the injector and existing 120-gallon steel tank, but I like the bottom-drain blowdown feature of their tank. The steel tank's drain is above the bottom, and not very effective in blowing out all the residue.

Update: It turns out that the tank I've got IS the tank we're talking about, with the swirly thing hidden inside the tube. I'll let you know what I think about it after I've accumulated some experience with it. For a couple hundred bucks you can add a timed valve on the bottom drain to automatically clean out the accumulated crud.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks