Wall mount tub filler with deck mount controls

Users who are viewing this thread

islandgrl

Reaction score
We are building a new house and putting in a modern freestanding Maax Jazz tub http://www.maax.com/en/UtilityPages/ProductDetail.aspx?productID={489316B4-7892-461A-80E2-5F263F07D02B}&refPageID={48A5B0B6-F584-40F8-B27F-251CDCC15DCE} in the Master Bathroom. It will be placed against a feature wall, on which I would like to have a fun (but somewhat economical) wall mount tub spout.

I like the following 4 tub fillers:

Kohler Souris K-6946 http://www.homedepot.com/buy/bath/bathroom-faucets/kohler/souris-wallmount-sheetflow-nondiverter-bath-spout-polished-chrome-63251.html, (included this link because HD has some nice images of the spout in action)

Hansgrohe Axor Massaud Tub Spout 18473001

Kohler Laminar Flow K-923, or

Artos Kascade F802-3.

But I am open to other similar waterfall style spouts.

The Maax Jazz tub has a really wide 6 inch tub deck, and I'd like to put the controls on the tub deck so they don't distract from the tub filler in the wall and are easy to reach while I am in and out of the tub. I don't want anything too fancy, and we are planning on using Moen 90 degree chrome faucets on vanities unless we find something that matches our chosen tub spout better.

Can you recommend a valve/lever trim combination that would work with one of these or a similar tub spout? I don't know enough to figure out how flexible these valves are (i.e. using the valves for the tub deck mount but going to the wall for the spout). I'd prefer to stick with a major company for the valve. I've seen some nice packaged units with grohe and other companies but they start at $1300 and I really don't want to spend that much knowing that I'm happy with far less expensive spouts. The plumbing supply company my builder referred me to seems to think my only options are to use a shower valve and put it on the wall somewhere, or to use the Moen iodigital control, but I don't really want to spend that much since I don't really need that technology to fill my tub.

Am I asking for trouble with this configuration? I just can't seem to find this type of valve option with Moen, Delta, or Kohler. I guess I can always put everything on the wall, and/or use a thermostatic shower valve and try and place it out of sight, but I worry it might be awkward to reach in and out of the tub if it's out of sight.

I would really appreciate any advice or direction you can give me so I can get these valves ordered and the rough-in plumbing behind me. I've got tile to pick out next! Arghhh! :confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not a fan of using a wall mounted spout with a free standing tub. Mainly because few of them are long enough to really direct the stream into the tub properly, especially given the rounded end of the tub. A deck mounted "laminar flow" spout such as Kohler's K-7909-4, or one if its variations would be my choice, even if it is somewhat "pricey".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The spout should be long enough so that if the water is only dribbling, it would fall into the tub. That can make the choices harder to find. If the tub is never to be used for a shower, then you probably don't have to use an anti-scald valve, although you might like a thermostatically controlled one as the WH temp output can vary as you get to the end of its capacity when filling a big tub. Anyway...a couple of things to think about.

islandgrl

Reaction score
I really appreciate your input. I'm trying to incorporate common sense and a reasonable budget with my design wish list. No small task, to say the least.

As far as the spout being long enough... if the tub deck is 6" deep and I have the tub right next to the wall, is a 7" or longer tub spout long enough? I am leaning toward the Hansgrohe Axor Massaud (18473001) wall-mount tub spout right now, and it is over 10" long. Hansgrohe has a special valve to connect the spout in wall (18471181). After that, am I forced to use a Hansgrohe Shower Valve or can our plumber utilize any deck-mounted 1 or 2 handle control and valve to just use the handles to fill and connect to the Hansgrohe tub filler in the wall (essentially throwing out the spout valve that comes with the handle control valves, and using the tub spout valve in the wall instead)? I'm looking at the Hansgrohe valve specs and it is 3/4" NPT - what issues does this raise?

On the other hand, if I just choose a long wall-mounted tub filler with a 1/2" inlet port will I have more handle options? Or do I still need to stick to the same manufacturer? I'm a little unclear on what parts of the shower and tub valves are proprietary and which parts are universal.

Thank you for humoring a crazy gal trying to design her "forever" master bath. I seem to always need to customize things to get the look I'm going for. Luckily I have a great contractor who has patience with me... but I didn't want to bug him on the weekends and at midnight when I'm pondering these issues. Besides, you guys are more fun! ;)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Island Girl I can not answer your question directly about mixing and matching but can say with enough effort anything is possible. We just wrapped up a Kohler Cast Iron tub install and the clients didn't want a floor mount fixture and decided on a deck mount. The catch here was they wanted the Kohler Tub spun so the waste and overflow where against the wall.

The plan was to build a box of sorts to hold the deck mount fixtures on and place the tub against this box. I didn't care for this look and convinced them to loose 5.5" of their bathroom by building a new wall in front of their old wall. We design a niche for these deck mount pieces. So that the tub didn't look squished up against the wall I bowed a 1/4" sheet of drywall under the solid surface stone which made up the niche's bottom. It was a bear of a job installing but the end result looks amazing - I think.

Good Luck.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:

islandgrl

Reaction score
Well-done JW - that came out great! I guess I need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just go with a deck mount. It does look good and it's not like my bathroom is going to have traffic that will appreciate my awesome waterfall tub filler that I'm trying to rig up. lol

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most tub spouts have either a screwed, or "slip on" connection, therefore which, or what kind of, valve you use is immaterial. Given that the end of the tub is curved a "straight" laminar spout would have to be long enough that the water coming out of the "edges" is still over the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks