A bunch of questions

Users who are viewing this thread

pastfast125

Reaction score
Ok, we might be putting a full apartment in a basement. Can the bathroom be tapped into another bathroom that is directly above? Or what other options do I have for this, also We want to put in a dishwasher possibly and a kitchen sink. Any ideas on all this. And Where in the lines does it need to be vented?Laso, how to I find out where everything runs into the sewer line, cuz we are putting a seweage ejector thing in, so Ineed to find out where this will have to get connected. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's a lot of work. Almost anything can be done, but it is hard to determine the costs without seeing it first. Can you see the drain lines coming down into the basement from above? Can you tell where it exits the house? If you are lucky, it goes all the way down and dissapears in the floor. If so, then you may not need an ejector system (best to avoid unless necessary). All of the things will need vents. Basically, you may need to tie all of them together and then either make a new one to the roof, or patch into the existing one upstairs above the highest sink level. Depending on the size of that vent, you may need a new one on its own. You may want to install a separate water heater which, if gas will also need a flue. Lots of things to think about. The incoming water supply lines may be marginal for another apartment.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Unless you are very mechanicaly inclined or are in a building trade, I would recomend you get a few quotes from plumbing contractors for this job / work.

pastfast125

Reaction score
thanks, I am inclined and have a basic knowledge of all this, and also have many books on it, I just can't find them right now, lol. It's not at my house, it's my grandmother's, so I'm not sure on all of that stuff, like wether it runs straight under the floor. For the vents, is there anyway to have it so it just comes out the wall and runs up the side of the house outside? This is like a split level house, so the basement walls only go up to about my shoulder, then it's drywall. If there are drains in the floor that means I don't need an ejector pump right? If I can't tap into existing water supple or something like that, then How do I get the water? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The drains need 1/4" per foot slope, so depending on where it exits and how far you need to run the drains, you may or may not need a pump. I don't think an external vent pipe will pass code, nor does it look good. In theory, anywhere you can get access to a hot and cold water line, you could put on T connections and get water. But, ideally, it would be a larger pipe close to the source, or you may not get the flow that you want.

pastfast125

Reaction score
ok thanks, that's the answer I was lookin for. OK, now heres where I may sounds stupid or somethin, but wheres the main supply at?or how do I find it?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Main supply is probably where the hot water heater and/or water meter is.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bathroom

Trying to put in a bathroom without even knowing what a main supply is, is like trying to drive a car, but not even knowing what an ignition key is. In both cases, you should not be doing it.

pastfast125

Reaction score
hj, I appreciate your concern, but I'll worry about whether or not I can do it when I look more into it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ok, we might be putting a full apartment in a basement. Can the bathroom be tapped into another bathroom that is directly above?

If you are using a sewage ejector system, the pump can tie into a 4" waste line.
The plumbing that goes into the pump system needs to be treated like any other plumbing, including traps and vents for the traps. The vents can be tied into the next floor vent plumbing at 42" above the next floor.

The pump system will also have a 2" vent.

Or what other options do I have for this, also We want to put in a dishwasher possibly and a kitchen sink. Any ideas on all this?

A dishwasher and sink are like any other plumbing. Traps and vents for all.

How to I find out where everything runs into the sewer line? cuz we are putting a seweage ejector thing in, so Ineed to find out where this will have to get connected. Thanks

You can try bending some metal coat hangers and witching for the lines.
This works pretty well if there aren't too many other lines to confuse the coat hangers.

pastfast125

Reaction score
k thanks, I found some sites too that really helped explain a lot of this. For horizontal running drains for like toilets and stuff, what is the max distance horizontally you can run them? And if the toilet is to far away form a main vent line then I just make another line to the roof correct?Also I read about putting 45 degree angled t type fittings that go outside for snaking in case something gets clogged, do I have to do this? Cuz for it being in a basement I don't know how I'd do that. If any of that made any sense, thanks. :D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Some plumbing software that will lay out the design of the plumbing system might help you, but you may have to jack up the floor to get the existing w portion of the DWV specs. to imput into the program If it is under the floor. Or like Terry said you can try witching with coat hangers to find them.

You need to have a mech. drawing for sure. Lazer levels work great for checking pitch when you go to do the work.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
worrry

pastfast125 said:
hj, I appreciate your concern, but I'll worry about whether or not I can do it when I look more into it.

That is fine, but most DIY'ers get a lot further than that before they decide they are out of their league. And at that point they either call in a professional, who may have to undo everything and start over, or muddle through and create something that they decide will work just fine. I am reworking two remodels right now that were done by workers like that.

pastfast125

Reaction score
ya, I'm not just going into this with no idea what I'm doing, I don't want to screw anything up. Thats why I'm asking all these questions.

pastfast125

Reaction score
What size copper pipe is reccomended for the suplly lines to everything? Do you guys recomend using a bender rather than different fittings to make turns around corners and stuff? Also whatever size is reccomended, is that 15mm? 22?? And abs pipe is used for the drains, what size is good for that? or does it depend on the application?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks