(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Hansgrohe iBox Universal

Default Hansgrohe iBox Universal

My basement remodel continues....

I got great advise here about my DWV system, and it's working great. I'm now roughing in the bathroom, and I'm trying to decide on a shower system. I'm leaning toward the Hansgrohe - a thermostatic valve with integral diverter to control a showerhead and a handshower. So far, so good.

Thing is, their universal rough in box is for 3/4 and I had plumbed 1/2 over to the shower, off of a 3/4 line. Is there any problem running the 1/2 to near the rough in, and then soldering on a 1/2-3/4 adaptor, and running 3/4 the rest of the short way to the valve. (and then 3/4 from the valve to the showerhead and the handshower?

Thanks!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can run 1/2" to the I-Box or 3/4"
    It's made to work many different ways. The iBox below has 3/4" in which can bush down to 1/2"

1 front

2 top

3 side

4 back
    Last edited by Terry; 05-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks Terry!

I'm using the iBox in my current bathroom remodel. The iBox unit itself comes with three brass 3/4" x 1/2" bushings inside the package. Just buy one extra if you plan on using 1/2" for all your piping.

Last edited by Terry; 02-11-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Besides the 3/4" by 1/2" bushing you can use a 3/4" by 1/2" copper male adaptor with the I-Box. Just sweat it up and cool before you thread it in. In you installation it sounds like you will be using a shower head and hand shower. In this case you will only be trying for 5 GPM. Either case the thermostatic trim with volume control and diverter will do 8 GPM max. 1/2" pipe will be adequate for this. I would stay with 1/2" pipe from the I-Box to the shower heads. This is because the 3/4" pipe will store more water when not in use and take a few seconds longer to purge out when warming up the shower. Feel free to call me at Hansgrohe 1-800-334-0455 press 2 for tech and ask for David.

quote: Just buy one extra if you plan on using 1/2" for all your piping.

You would only use the fourth opening if you use the trim with the integral diverter. You cannot use a diverter spout with the I-Box. It comes with the 3/4x1/2 brass bushings.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by Hansgrohe Tech View Post
    Besides the 3/4" by 1/2" bushing you can use a 3/4" by 1/2" copper male adaptor with the I-Box. Just sweat it up and cool before you thread it in. In you installation it sounds like you will be using a shower head and hand shower. In this case you will only be trying for 5 GPM. Either case the thermostatic trim with volume control and diverter will do 8 GPM max. 1/2" pipe will be adequate for this. I would stay with 1/2" pipe from the I-Box to the shower heads. This is because the 3/4" pipe will store more water when not in use and take a few seconds longer to purge out when warming up the shower. Feel free to call me at Hansgrohe 1-800-334-0455 press 2 for tech and ask for David.
    I read that the 3/4 x 1/2 bushings are no longer included when you buy the ibox. Can anyone confirm, if so then what is the part # and where can I corder? Thanks