Iron removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure you would like to see step by step instructions. And yes I have pictures, color pictures. How about I sell them to you instead of you simply being an ungrateful user that constantly run me down. Otherwise my money is on you never figuring out how to do it.

I wouldn't wait by the mailbox for the checks to arrive if I were you LOL

BTW, the build up of rust in a pipe caused by iron in the water is not a stain. Stir it up and the rust can come right out as rusty water.

Who said anything about it being a stain?

If you cut a piece of pipe out of the plumbing and allow the rust to dry, then hit the pipe with something, or drop it on its end on the floor, the rust comes out as dust. And here you, and my good buddy Andy/water solutions in a thread about manganese a 1/4" thick in a cistern but talk about it being a type of bacteria, call this type build up a stain.

None of that makes sense, nor is it and accurate synopsis of what was said in that thread.

And you didn't take my advice. I haven't told you or anyone else in this thread how to do it

Not in this thread but you did in at least one thread in the past. Shall I dig it up? LOL

For all I know, and from what I know of you from your posts here about your water treatment equipment, you may have just poured the IO in a "pre filter" housing and turned the water on. That is not the right way for you to do it. Even ex plumber Tom could tell you that. I'm not sure about Alan/dittohead, he'd probably go off into his non related equipment testing or tell you a story about some arsenic treatment he did back in the '90's when he was selling millions of tons of salt a year. Our resident money grubbing landlord... well he's one of them wine sniffers and off with his engineer looking for a collapse in his well but what does he know about rust in a pipe.

I'm not an ex-plumber, I still hold Masters licenses in 5 states, own the business and occasionally get my hands dirty.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
And you didn't take my advice. I haven't told you or anyone else in this thread how to do it...
You're right about the "how" part but you certainly did suggest that it be done.

I'd get some Iron Out etc. into the plumbing to the softener or the fixtures to clean out the rust build up...

I suspect you left out the how part because then it can easily be challenged and refuted. I still challenge that the pipes cannot be effectively cleaned out with IO and leave it to you to prove that it can.

I'm sure you would like to see step by step instructions. And yes I have pictures, color pictures. How about I sell them to you instead of you simply being an ungrateful user that constantly run me down. Otherwise my money is on you never figuring out how to do it...
ROFLMAO... How's that for the pot calling the kettle black! For the record, I don't run you down. I do criticize how you mistreat people on this forum. In this thread, I did call you out for giving bad advice and gave you the opportunity to redeem yourself. You resorted instead to denigrating others.

Respect is something you earn. It starts with treating people with respect.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You're right about the "how" part but you certainly did suggest that it be done.
Actually I said: "I'd get some Iron Out etc. into the plumbing to the softener or the fixtures to clean out the rust build up. I'd replace any plumbing to the softener that was less than 3/4". I'd run some IO through the softener then too.". I did not tell him to do it or that he should do it. And he replied that he didn't think it would work, along with Andy, Steve and YOU.

I suspect you left out the how part because then it can easily be challenged and refuted. I still challenge that the pipes cannot be effectively cleaned out with IO and leave it to you to prove that it can.
Well the how of it couldn't be challenged and disputed unless someone did exactly as I said to do it and then it didn't work. You have said you did it and it didn't work so you continue to say it can't work although I didn't tell you how to do it and you haven't said how you did it or for how long. duh!! And below you now say I'm supposed to prove to you that it works. LOL

For the record, I don't run you down. I do criticize how you mistreat people on this forum. In this thread, I did call you out for giving bad advice and gave you the opportunity to redeem yourself. You resorted instead to denigrating others.
I treat people as they treat me. Other than you saying IO won't work, I don't see where you've said I've given bad advice in this thread.

In other threads I have given you advice about your water treatment equipment that doesn't work very well and how to correct it and you've disagreed with everything I've told you. As you have about rust in a pipe and the use of IO in this thread, simply because it didn't work for you! Frankly I don't think you tired it.

Respect is something you earn. It starts with treating people with respect.
Disagreeing simply because you think something won't work, or because you tired it without knowing how to do it and it didn't work, is not being respectful IMO.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually I said: "I'd get some Iron Out etc. into the plumbing to the softener or the fixtures to clean out the rust build up. I'd replace any plumbing to the softener that was less than 3/4". I'd run some IO through the softener then too.". I did not tell him to do it or that he should do it. And he replied that he didn't think it would work, along with Andy, Steve and YOU.

That's your post so "I'd get some iron out into the plumbing to the softener" which implies that you would somehow isolate the run from the tank to the valve, introduce Iron out and that would get rid of the iron. We are all telling you that if there is a large build up of iron, you could soak it for a month and not clear it out and further, you would have to bypass the piping so the customer would have water in the house.

" I did not tell him to do it or that he should do it" What in hell does that mean? If you are not recommending that he should do it then why bother saying anything at all?

This whole mess should be pretty much wrapped up. Game, set, match.....

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com

That's your post so "I'd get some iron out into the plumbing to the softener" which implies that you would somehow isolate the run from the tank to the valve, introduce Iron out and that would get rid of the iron. We are all telling you that if there is a large build up of iron, you could soak it for a month and not clear it out and further, you would have to bypass the piping so the customer would have water in the house.

" I did not tell him to do it or that he should do it" What in hell does that mean? If you are not recommending that he should do it then why bother saying anything at all?

This whole mess should be pretty much wrapped up. Game, set, match.....
There ya go again posting something you didn't say but making it look as if you did...

IMO, based on past experience with him, he wasn't going to listen to anything I recommended, suggested or told him to do so I told him what I would do but I didn't tell him how I'd do it so others reading this now or in the future know there is something that can be done if they have the same problem instead of probably listening to someone telling them to replace all the plumbing.

BTW, I learned through trial and error how to get rust build up out of galvanized pipe so as to be able to sanitize/disinfect the plumbing to get rid of Coliform bacteria for VA and FHA mortgages. Then I got into well rehabilitation to get rid of rust build up in water lines from the pump to the pressure tank. And people actually paid me to do it based on the results and yer good buddy Liggy is it, he says it won't work. LOL little does he know and he sure as hell doesn't know what he doesn't know. WOW, that applies to you too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks