Iron removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Why are you asking where he got the warranty from? He got it the same place you and I got it....Online. There is a copy of it here

http://www.deanzawater.com/pdf/Kinetico-residential-warranty.pdf

Do you Badger people just for the sake of Badgering them?
A quick read and then a detailed study shows the operational/owner's manual to cover maintenance and operation, which would include any requirement for a pre filter but... I don't see a Kinetico softener being mentioned, just water conditioners etc..

I see they have tightened up the RO (membrane) warranty from 5 years down to 4 years if there is no Kinetico softener installed before the RO.

And I especially like the creative part obviously designed to hide warranty requirements in this paragraph: Additional operating parameters may apply and are listed in your system owner’s manual and/or installation instructions. Your equipment must be installed and operated in accordance with Kinetico’s recommendations....

Have you ever seen the Kinetico installation instructions? My neither.

Since no one but the one'n only local Kinetico dealer can install the equipment, my guess is the customer wouldn't have those instructions but if they do, they must abide by Kinetico's "recommendations" in them and if not, the warranty is voided or reduced.

I'll bet there is a recommendation of a pre filter for at least a few different models of their control valves if not all of them. Ya think?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Why is it called "badgering"? In my experience, badgers never bother people, are rarely ever seen. I think it is unfair to the whole family of Taxidea taxus.

Quite the opposite of Gary's mannerisms displayed here.

True, true. Seems a shame to drag the poor Badger down.

lol, I think the more proper term would be trolling, to troll, or to be a troll.

And to think, 2 outta 3 of you are supposed to be "Professionals", yet no one reading this would be able to tell who is who.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Indeed, only one poster on this thread stands apart LOL BTW, thanks for reminding me that my pump & filter license needs to be renewed this month. Something you don't have to worry about because unlike the rest of us........YOU DON'T HAVE ONE

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Indeed, only one poster on this thread stands apart LOL BTW, thanks for reminding me that my pump & filter license needs to be renewed this month. Something you don't have to worry about because unlike the rest of us........YOU DON'T HAVE ONE

My CWS recerts are due in a few months, I think I will get my Certified Installer and level 5 certifications done. I need to do my Steam Boiler license as well, thanks for the reminder!

F6Hawk

Reaction score
Well, bite me, cuz neither MY pump, filter, nor my boiler even NEED recerts, and I refuse to become a certified installer. Guess I'll just have another margarita while you fine fellows go and spend your money on paper...

Chevy427

Reaction score
A quick read and then a detailed study shows the operational/owner's manual to cover maintenance and operation, which would include any requirement for a pre filter but... I don't see a Kinetico softener being mentioned, just water conditioners etc..

The warranty sheet does not include a prefilter as far as I can see. A softener is a water conditioner. Make note of ten-years' warranty on the resin, which I seem to remember someone continuously denying that no one offers more than one year on resins. Umm! Many Kinetico dealers don't use prefilters at all on their softeners as a standard installation and still honor warranties.

I see they have tightened up the RO (membrane) warranty from 5 years down to 4 years if there is no Kinetico softener installed before the RO.
That's very strange, I don't see that. Does anyone else see that? Where do you see that? Kinetico never had a 5-year warranty of membrane and it was never reduced to 4. It always been 4 years (which is three years longer than any other residential RO that I am aware of) if not following a Kinetico softener. In fact, the membrane had a 7-year warranty if following a Kinetico softener (4 without) and extended a few years ago to 10 years (which is 9 years longer than any other RO that I am aware of). So you see Gary, you are incorrect again. Changes did not cause a warranty reduction but actually extended from previously issued warranties. Kinetico softeners went from 7 years to 10 years when the MACH series was introduced. I suppose this represents the company's faith in its product. These are the facts as documented not opinions as imagined.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see any of that in their warranty either. Rather than muck up threads with his hatred for kinetico and Culligan products, perhaps Gary should get Terry to let him post his rants on a sticky and be done with it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Gary, not sure if IO would do much for the pipes, unless it was run thru for weeks (see below). I'll be able to tell more after I cut open the piping and see how clogged they are...

That bold part says you don't know how to do it, yet I have done it a number of times and here you are saying it can't be done and won't work...

I really would like to see step-by-step instructions and maybe some pictures of the results because IMHO, Gary is giving bad advice. Gary, I took your advice and ran a IO through the pipes before the iron filter and saw no improvement. When I cut open the pipe, it was still constricted down to the size of a pencil. I ended up running a snake through the pipe to open it back up.

Super Iron Out® may be fine to remove a thin film of iron stain but no way can I see it removing a 1/4" thick build-up. When I replaced the AVC on my precipitation tank, I tried cleaning the old one with IO and it did nothing. I ended up soaking it in a cocktail of IO and Zolvex® overnight to clean it.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Liggy, Iron out was never designed to remove massive amounts of iron. Running a snake through your pipes was probably the best solution for you. It's either that or cut out the pipe and replace it which is what most plumbers would do because of the time involved in snaking the pipes out would cost more in labor than replacing would. We get iron up here and lots of it so we are pretty used to dealing with it. I have removed filotration valves that are so clogged with iron that you could soak them for a lifetime and never begin to remove all the rust. They have to be totally dismantled, cleaned with a brush and then rebuilt.

Chevy427

Reaction score
I really would like to see step-by-step instructions and maybe some pictures of the results because IMHO, Gary is giving bad advice. Gary, I took your advice and ran a IO through the pipes before the iron filter and saw no improvement. When I cut open the pipe, it was still constricted down to the size of a pencil. I ended up running a snake through the pipe to open it back up.

Super Iron Out® may be fine to remove a thin film of iron stain but no way can I see it removing a 1/4" thick build-up. When I replaced the AVC on my precipitation tank, I tried cleaning the old one with IO and it did nothing. I ended up soaking it in a cocktail of IO and Zolvex® overnight to clean it.

I tear apart old valves and plumbing everyday, some of which is salvageable. I constantly use Iron Out to soak parts with everything from a thin film of iron stains to rather thick build up. I can definitely see the difference in the thin coating being removed but the thick stuff would be there even days later. It would require a brisk scrubbing with a metal brush to get the iron off enough to make it functioning again. So what are we talking about? Let extremely high concentrations sit in the plumbing for days and hope that would clean the iron out. I have never attempted to put iron out in plumbing like someone recommended and asked how he could put it into the pressure tank and well lines enough to be effective and all I got was a smart remark about how JI couldn't do it and he could.

So now two of us are asking about the same question in regards to another's successful service claim. LLigetfa, I am like you, doubtful but open to new and exciting ways!!! let's see if an expert can share with us his insight. Love to try it out.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have never attempted to put iron out in plumbing like someone recommended and asked how he could put it into the pressure tank and well lines enough to be effective and all I got was a smart remark about how I couldn't do it and he could...

In my case, I have a Banjo filter before the micronizer and what I did was filled it up with IO. Just like the guy that on a return visit to the doctor who prescribed him suppositories said, "I took the whole box, and for all the good they did me, I could have shoved them up my ass".

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
The warranty sheet does not include a prefilter as far as I can see.
So you agree with me. So does Andy Christensen.

Andy Christensen is a Water Quality Association CW-II and has been a Kinetico salesman for many years, or at least 3-4 years. He's a "Professional".

Since you deny being him, Andy Christensen, what are your credentials as to a Kinetico warranty and how did you get the one you claim to have?

Are you a Kinetico salesman, or work for Kinetico or are you a Kinetico customer and if a customer, why the handle Water Solutions? That sounds as if you are a water treatment dealer, a "company", are you?

I ask because the other day in another thread I saw an OP asking you if you are a Kinetico salesman but haven't seen you answer that yet.

Chevy427

Reaction score
So you agree with me. So does Andy Christensen.

Andy Christensen is a Water Quality Association CW-II and has been a Kinetico salesman for many years, or at least 3-4 years. He's a "Professional".

Since you deny being him, Andy Christensen, what are your credentials as to a Kinetico warranty and how did you get the one you claim to have?

Are you a Kinetico salesman, or work for Kinetico or are you a Kinetico customer and if a customer, why the handle Water Solutions? That sounds as if you are a water treatment dealer, a "company", are you?

I ask because the other day in another thread I saw an OP asking you if you are a Kinetico salesman but haven't seen you answer that yet.

I think it is good time to bow out gracefully.

Attachments

• beating-a-dead-horse-horse-demotivational-poster-1267844749.jpg
    beating-a-dead-horse-horse-demotivational-poster-1267844749.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 401

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Lol, how many times do we have to bring up beating a dead horse with certain people?

I like this one as well.

deadhorse.jpg

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website

I'm sure you would like to see step by step instructions. And yes I have pictures, color pictures. How about I sell them to you instead of you simply being an ungrateful user that constantly run me down. Otherwise my money is on you never figuring out how to do it.

BTW, the build up of rust in a pipe caused by iron in the water is not a stain. Stir it up and the rust can come right out as rusty water.

If you cut a piece of pipe out of the plumbing and allow the rust to dry, then hit the pipe with something, or drop it on its end on the floor, the rust comes out as dust. And here you, and my good buddy Andy/water solutions in a thread about manganese a 1/4" thick in a cistern but talk about it being a type of bacteria, call this type build up a stain.

And you didn't take my advice. I haven't told you or anyone else in this thread how to do it.

For all I know, and from what I know of you from your posts here about your water treatment equipment, you may have just poured the IO in a "pre filter" housing and turned the water on. That is not the right way for you to do it. Even ex plumber Tom could tell you that. I'm not sure about Alan/dittohead, he'd probably go off into his non related equipment testing or tell you a story about some arsenic treatment he did back in the '90's when he was selling millions of tons of salt a year. Our resident money grubbing landlord... well he's one of them wine sniffers and off with his engineer looking for a collapse in his well but what does he know about rust in a pipe.

Chevy427

Reaction score
And here you, and my good buddy water solutions in a thread about manganese a 1/4" thick in a cistern but talk about it being a type of bacteria, call this type build up a stain.

Wrong again, Gary. I never said anything about it being a bacteria. I neither said it was or wasn't. Never mentioned anything of that sort. Where are you getting your information? The same place you got the warranty info? It is starting to become sad that you resort to fabricating what others are saying.

Strange how you suddenly dropped the whole Kinetico warranty misquoting fiasco.

Glad to see you are trying to sell your advice. Any buyers?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks