(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iron removal

Liggy, Iron out was never designed to remove massive amounts of iron. Running a snake through your pipes was probably the best solution for you. It's either that or cut out the pipe and replace it which is what most plumbers would do because of the time involved in snaking the pipes out would cost more in labor than replacing would. We get iron up here and lots of it so we are pretty used to dealing with it. I have removed filotration valves that are so clogged with iron that you could soak them for a lifetime and never begin to remove all the rust. They have to be totally dismantled, cleaned with a brush and then rebuilt.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    I really would like to see step-by-step instructions and maybe some pictures of the results because IMHO, Gary is giving bad advice. Gary, I took your advice and ran a IO through the pipes before the iron filter and saw no improvement. When I cut open the pipe, it was still constricted down to the size of a pencil. I ended up running a snake through the pipe to open it back up.

Super Iron Out® may be fine to remove a thin film of iron stain but no way can I see it removing a 1/4" thick build-up. When I replaced the AVC on my precipitation tank, I tried cleaning the old one with IO and it did nothing. I ended up soaking it in a cocktail of IO and Zolvex® overnight to clean it.
    I tear apart old valves and plumbing everyday, some of which is salvageable. I constantly use Iron Out to soak parts with everything from a thin film of iron stains to rather thick build up. I can definitely see the difference in the thin coating being removed but the thick stuff would be there even days later. It would require a brisk scrubbing with a metal brush to get the iron off enough to make it functioning again. So what are we talking about? Let extremely high concentrations sit in the plumbing for days and hope that would clean the iron out. I have never attempted to put iron out in plumbing like someone recommended and asked how he could put it into the pressure tank and well lines enough to be effective and all I got was a smart remark about how JI couldn't do it and he could.

So now two of us are asking about the same question in regards to another's successful service claim. LLigetfa, I am like you, doubtful but open to new and exciting ways!!! let's see if an expert can share with us his insight. Love to try it out.
    Last edited by water solutions; 05-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Liggy, Iron out was never designed to remove massive amounts of iron....
    Ja, you know it, I know, the fence post knows it... only Gary doesn't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by water solutions View Post
    I have never attempted to put iron out in plumbing like someone recommended and asked how he could put it into the pressure tank and well lines enough to be effective and all I got was a smart remark about how I couldn't do it and he could...
    In my case, I have a Banjo filter before the micronizer and what I did was filled it up with IO. Just like the guy that on a return visit to the doctor who prescribed him suppositories said, "I took the whole box, and for all the good they did me, I could have shoved them up my ass".

The warranty sheet does not include a prefilter as far as I can see.
    So you agree with me. So does Andy Christensen.

Andy Christensen is a Water Quality Association CW-II and has been a Kinetico salesman for many years, or at least 3-4 years. He's a "Professional".

Since you deny being him, Andy Christensen, what are your credentials as to a Kinetico warranty and how did you get the one you claim to have?

Are you a Kinetico salesman, or work for Kinetico or are you a Kinetico customer and if a customer, why the handle Water Solutions? That sounds as if you are a water treatment dealer, a "company", are you?

I ask because the other day in another thread I saw an OP asking you if you are a Kinetico salesman but haven't seen you answer that yet.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    So you agree with me. So does Andy Christensen.

Andy Christensen is a Water Quality Association CW-II and has been a Kinetico salesman for many years, or at least 3-4 years. He's a "Professional".

Since you deny being him, Andy Christensen, what are your credentials as to a Kinetico warranty and how did you get the one you claim to have?

Are you a Kinetico salesman, or work for Kinetico or are you a Kinetico customer and if a customer, why the handle Water Solutions? That sounds as if you are a water treatment dealer, a "company", are you?

I ask because the other day in another thread I saw an OP asking you if you are a Kinetico salesman but haven't seen you answer that yet.
    I think it is good time to bow out gracefully.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by water solutions; 05-11-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lol, how many times do we have to bring up beating a dead horse with certain people?

I like this one as well.

Name:  deadhorse.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  55.2 KB

I really would like to see step-by-step instructions and maybe some pictures of the results because IMHO, Gary is giving bad advice. Gary, I took your advice and ran a IO through the pipes before the iron filter and saw no improvement. When I cut open the pipe, it was still constricted down to the size of a pencil. I ended up running a snake through the pipe to open it back up.

Super Iron Out® may be fine to remove a thin film of iron stain but no way can I see it removing a 1/4" thick build-up. When I replaced the AVC on my precipitation tank, I tried cleaning the old one with IO and it did nothing. I ended up soaking it in a cocktail of IO and Zolvex® overnight to clean it.
    I'm sure you would like to see step by step instructions. And yes I have pictures, color pictures. How about I sell them to you instead of you simply being an ungrateful user that constantly run me down. Otherwise my money is on you never figuring out how to do it.

BTW, the build up of rust in a pipe caused by iron in the water is not a stain. Stir it up and the rust can come right out as rusty water.

If you cut a piece of pipe out of the plumbing and allow the rust to dry, then hit the pipe with something, or drop it on its end on the floor, the rust comes out as dust. And here you, and my good buddy Andy/water solutions in a thread about manganese a 1/4" thick in a cistern but talk about it being a type of bacteria, call this type build up a stain.

And you didn't take my advice. I haven't told you or anyone else in this thread how to do it.

For all I know, and from what I know of you from your posts here about your water treatment equipment, you may have just poured the IO in a "pre filter" housing and turned the water on. That is not the right way for you to do it. Even ex plumber Tom could tell you that. I'm not sure about Alan/dittohead, he'd probably go off into his non related equipment testing or tell you a story about some arsenic treatment he did back in the '90's when he was selling millions of tons of salt a year. Our resident money grubbing landlord... well he's one of them wine sniffers and off with his engineer looking for a collapse in his well but what does he know about rust in a pipe.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I think it is good time to bow out gracefully.
    Yeah if I were you I would but you aren't near as graceful as I think you think you are.

And here you, and my good buddy water solutions in a thread about manganese a 1/4" thick in a cistern but talk about it being a type of bacteria, call this type build up a stain.
    Wrong again, Gary. I never said anything about it being a bacteria. I neither said it was or wasn't. Never mentioned anything of that sort. Where are you getting your information? The same place you got the warranty info? It is starting to become sad that you resort to fabricating what others are saying.

Strange how you suddenly dropped the whole Kinetico warranty misquoting fiasco.

Glad to see you are trying to sell your advice. Any buyers?
    Last edited by water solutions; 05-12-2012 at 01:23 AM.

I'm sure you would like to see step by step instructions. And yes I have pictures, color pictures. How about I sell them to you instead of you simply being an ungrateful user that constantly run me down. Otherwise my money is on you never figuring out how to do it.

I wouldn't wait by the mailbox for the checks to arrive if I were you LOL

BTW, the build up of rust in a pipe caused by iron in the water is not a stain. Stir it up and the rust can come right out as rusty water.
    Who said anything about it being a stain?

If you cut a piece of pipe out of the plumbing and allow the rust to dry, then hit the pipe with something, or drop it on its end on the floor, the rust comes out as dust. And here you, and my good buddy Andy/water solutions in a thread about manganese a 1/4" thick in a cistern but talk about it being a type of bacteria, call this type build up a stain.
    None of that makes sense, nor is it and accurate synopsis of what was said in that thread.

And you didn't take my advice. I haven't told you or anyone else in this thread how to do it

Not in this thread but you did in at least one thread in the past. Shall I dig it up? LOL

For all I know, and from what I know of you from your posts here about your water treatment equipment, you may have just poured the IO in a "pre filter" housing and turned the water on. That is not the right way for you to do it. Even ex plumber Tom could tell you that. I'm not sure about Alan/dittohead, he'd probably go off into his non related equipment testing or tell you a story about some arsenic treatment he did back in the '90's when he was selling millions of tons of salt a year. Our resident money grubbing landlord... well he's one of them wine sniffers and off with his engineer looking for a collapse in his well but what does he know about rust in a pipe.
    I'm not an ex-plumber, I still hold Masters licenses in 5 states, own the business and occasionally get my hands dirty.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, then you admit to being a "Professional"? AH HAH, I KNEW IT.

And you didn't take my advice. I haven't told you or anyone else in this thread how to do it...
    You're right about the "how" part but you certainly did suggest that it be done.

I'd get some Iron Out etc. into the plumbing to the softener or the fixtures to clean out the rust build up...
    I suspect you left out the how part because then it can easily be challenged and refuted. I still challenge that the pipes cannot be effectively cleaned out with IO and leave it to you to prove that it can.

I'm sure you would like to see step by step instructions. And yes I have pictures, color pictures. How about I sell them to you instead of you simply being an ungrateful user that constantly run me down. Otherwise my money is on you never figuring out how to do it...
    ROFLMAO... How's that for the pot calling the kettle black! For the record, I don't run you down. I do criticize how you mistreat people on this forum. In this thread, I did call you out for giving bad advice and gave you the opportunity to redeem yourself. You resorted instead to denigrating others.

Respect is something you earn. It starts with treating people with respect.

You're right about the "how" part but you certainly did suggest that it be done.
    Actually I said: "I'd get some Iron Out etc. into the plumbing to the softener or the fixtures to clean out the rust build up. I'd replace any plumbing to the softener that was less than 3/4". I'd run some IO through the softener then too.". I did not tell him to do it or that he should do it. And he replied that he didn't think it would work, along with Andy, Steve and YOU.

I suspect you left out the how part because then it can easily be challenged and refuted. I still challenge that the pipes cannot be effectively cleaned out with IO and leave it to you to prove that it can.
    Well the how of it couldn't be challenged and disputed unless someone did exactly as I said to do it and then it didn't work. You have said you did it and it didn't work so you continue to say it can't work although I didn't tell you how to do it and you haven't said how you did it or for how long. duh!! And below you now say I'm supposed to prove to you that it works. LOL

For the record, I don't run you down. I do criticize how you mistreat people on this forum. In this thread, I did call you out for giving bad advice and gave you the opportunity to redeem yourself. You resorted instead to denigrating others.
    I treat people as they treat me. Other than you saying IO won't work, I don't see where you've said I've given bad advice in this thread.

In other threads I have given you advice about your water treatment equipment that doesn't work very well and how to correct it and you've disagreed with everything I've told you. As you have about rust in a pipe and the use of IO in this thread, simply because it didn't work for you! Frankly I don't think you tired it.

Respect is something you earn. It starts with treating people with respect.
    Disagreeing simply because you think something won't work, or because you tired it without knowing how to do it and it didn't work, is not being respectful IMO.

Actually I said: "I'd get some Iron Out etc. into the plumbing to the softener or the fixtures to clean out the rust build up. I'd replace any plumbing to the softener that was less than 3/4". I'd run some IO through the softener then too.". I did not tell him to do it or that he should do it. And he replied that he didn't think it would work, along with Andy, Steve and YOU.

That's your post so "I'd get some iron out into the plumbing to the softener" which implies that you would somehow isolate the run from the tank to the valve, introduce Iron out and that would get rid of the iron. We are all telling you that if there is a large build up of iron, you could soak it for a month and not clear it out and further, you would have to bypass the piping so the customer would have water in the house.

" I did not tell him to do it or that he should do it" What in hell does that mean? If you are not recommending that he should do it then why bother saying anything at all?

This whole mess should be pretty much wrapped up. Game, set, match.....