(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Smoke detector

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Default Smoke detector

I am replacing two smoke detectors that are on the same breaker. I have three wires,one white one black and one red. How do I connect them?

John

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The third wire in the detector is often yellow...it is the lead that should be run between the two detectors so that if one goes off, it triggers the other one to sound as well. White and black are neutral and power, so it sounds like they expected the red to be that interconnecting lead. That's the normal thing, but yours could be different. With the power off and the detectors disconnected, if you turn it back on and measure from the red to ground or neutral, it should read zero. This assumes you feel safe about using a multimeter and won't hurt yourself. What brand and model?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Safety tips

Download these NFPA assurance tips on smoke alarms (PDF, 219 KB).

Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, alfresco anniversary abstracted sleeping breadth and on every akin of the home, including the basement. Interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home. If one sounds, they all sound.

An ionization smoke anxiety is about added acknowledging to ablaze fires, and a photoelectric smoke anxiety is about added acknowledging to afire fires. For the best protection, both types of alarms or a aggregate anxiety (photoelectric and ionization) should be installed in homes.

Test alarms at atomic account by blame the analysis button.

Smoke rises; install smoke alarms afterward manufacturer's instructions top on a bank or on a ceiling. Save manufacturer's instructions for testing and maintenance.

Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at atomic already a year. If an anxiety “chirps”, admonishing the array is low, alter the array appropriate away.

Replace all smoke alarms, including alarms that use 10-year batteries and hard-wired alarms, if they are 10 year old or eventually if they do not acknowledge properly.

Be abiding the smoke anxiety has the characterization of a accustomed testing laboratory.

Alarms that are hard-wired (and cover array backup) have to be installed by a able electrician.

If affable effluvium or beef sets off nuisance alarms, alter the anxiety with an anxiety that has a "hush" button. A "hush" button will abate the alarm’s acuteness for a abbreviate aeon of time.

An ionization anxiety with a calm button or a photoelectric anxiety should be acclimated if the anxiety is aural 20 anxiety of a affable appliance.

Smoke alarms that cover a recordable articulation advertisement in accession to the accepted anxiety sound, may be accessible in alive accouchement through the use of a accustomed voice.

Smoke alarms are accessible for humans who are deafened or harder of hearing. These accessories use strobe lights. Vibration accessories can be added to these alarms

Smoke alarms are an important allotment of a home blaze escape plan.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

“A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water.”*
    Last edited by jwelectric; 05-18-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hollysurly View Post
    Safety tips

Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, alfresco anniversary abstracted sleeping breadth and on every akin of the home, including the basement. Interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home. If one sounds, they all sound.

An ionization smoke anxiety is about added acknowledging to ablaze fires, and a photoelectric smoke anxiety is about added acknowledging to afire fires. For the best protection, both types of alarms or a aggregate anxiety (photoelectric and ionization) should be installed in homes.

Smoke rises; install smoke alarms afterward manufacturer's instructions top on a bank or on a ceiling. Save manufacturer's instructions for testing and maintenance.

Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at atomic already a year. If an anxiety “chirps”, admonishing the array is low, alter the array appropriate away.

Replace all smoke alarms, including alarms that use 10-year batteries and hard-wired alarms, if they are 10 year old or eventually if they do not acknowledge properly.

Be abiding the smoke anxiety has the characterization of a accustomed testing laboratory.

Alarms that are hard-wired (and cover array backup) have to be installed by a able electrician.

If affable effluvium or beef sets off nuisance alarms, alter the anxiety with an anxiety that has a "hush" button. A "hush" button will abate the alarm’s acuteness for a abbreviate aeon of time.

An ionization anxiety with a calm button or a photoelectric anxiety should be acclimated if the anxiety is aural 20 anxiety of a affable appliance.

Smoke alarms that cover a recordable articulation advertisement in accession to the accepted anxiety sound, may be accessible in alive accouchement through the use of a accustomed voice.

Smoke alarms are accessible for humans who are deafened or harder of hearing. These accessories use strobe lights. Vibration accessories can be added to these alarms

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

“A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water.”*
    this needs to be tranlated to Engrish, then back to English, and then maybe I can make some sense of it; maybe not either.
    http://www.engrish.com/ WTF? Huh?
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

the red wire is the interconnect wire that travels to the other detectors to set them off; if one goes off, they all go off. it is bad practice to intermix brands of smoke alarms (that are interconnected) if your other alarms are not interconnected, you can either tie the two new ones together, or cap off the red wire. you need to hook up the white and black wires to make the detector work.

Quote Originally Posted by hollysurly View Post
    Safety tips

This response is like the Microsoft one in my "Seattle" joke. Completely accurate and completely irrelvent to the question. How were the old detectors wired? If these are the only detectors they will probably work, but if there are others, then your new ones MUST be compatible with them to be interconnected and work properly. NOT interconnecting them is both unsafe and a code violation.
    Last edited by hj; 05-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Default job

quote; Don't pay someone to do a half-fast job when you can do a better job yourself with TerryLove.Com

Have you EVER heard of a DIY job being "half fast" and not "half a**ed"? In fact, most of them are multiple "fast" as in "they take much longer than the professional would have".

Is your last name LEMON?? Any relation:???

Hi john, you have 3 wire black,red and white , I also have 3 wire but the colors are different I have white black and yellow,I think white and black is neutral and red one is interconnecting the lead. I think we have smoke detector of two different companies that's why the color of the wires are different.I think you need to mention the model of your smoke detector then may you get a correct answer.
    and thanks hollysurly for sharing such nice safety tips .

Hollysurly's reply is like asking someone how to get to the CircleK and they tell you the history of the city. If you are REPLACING smoke detectors, ALL of that "research" should have already been done, and if not it is probably too late to change it.

Technical nitpick, those are smoke alarms, not detectors.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Hollysurly's reply is like asking someone how to get to the CircleK and they tell you the history of the city. If you are REPLACING smoke detectors, ALL of that "research" should have already been done, and if not it is probably too late to change it.
    LOL.

I have a clock that needs to be set, Can You please tell me how to build a new one ?
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    LOL.

I have a clock that needs to be set, Can You please tell me how to build a new one ?
    for that you can ask a nut case
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator