Power Shut Off to Pump with Leak Sensors?

Users who are viewing this thread

vpr80

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone makes a device to shut the power to the pump off if it senses a leak?

I found numerous devices that are installed on the actual water lines with mechanical ball valves to close the main water off, but I am thinking of something simpler (and cheaper since those systems are pretty pricey). How about something to just cut the power to the pump?

Thank you.

vpr80

Reaction score
You can use the same system to cut power to the pump. Just replace the electric ball valve with a relay that shuts off power to the motor.

While I get the general concept, I don't understand where I would get a "relay that shuts off power to the motor" and how to connect it to the actuator?

vpr80

Reaction score

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Anything that can sense a water leak and send or stop an output voltage can run a relay. The relay or contactor can disconnect power to the pump when voltage is applied or taken away. However, you will still empty the pressure tank before water stops leaking.

vpr80

Reaction score
I can handle 20 gals spilled, just don't want it to continually run non-stop.

On another note, I was examining my pipes yesterday at the location that I want to install the valve. I have PE3408 IDR 7 200 psi going from the well to the crawl space and then PE3306 80 psi going from there under the house to the utility room. So seems like a good spot to install the CSV. Given those ratings, I don't think that anything should fail and leak, but just in case I'll still put a sensor there.

Mark Anderson

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone makes a device to shut the power to the pump off if it senses a leak?

I found numerous devices that are installed on the actual water lines with mechanical ball valves to close the main water off, but I am thinking of something simpler (and cheaper since those systems are pretty pricey). How about something to just cut the power to the pump?

Thank you.

Not sure if you're still listening but I've been looking for the same thing and I think I've found it. Will try it out. Was looking at something I could build myself but this seems reasonable.
https://www.wssus.com/products/leak...ak-defender-water-detection-system-well-pumps

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like it work around the pressure tank area. How is device going tell the difference between a leak or somebody using water in the house?
There are one or more water sensors laying on the floor. There would be a potential of seepage during a bad rain turning off your pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks