Identifying Cartridge, Moen 1200

Users who are viewing this thread

kalisti

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a total novice at this, but am having difficulty replacing a leaky shower faucet. It is a single faucet, pulls out to go on, turns to hot/cold. I had difficulty getting it out, but eventually was able to pull it straight out, after spraying some stuff in to remove build-up. I'm not positive I got everything out, but it seems like I did.

I brought the cartridge into my local hardware store to get a replacement, and he couldn't identify it. I was hoping someone here could help me. The cover says Moen on it, but there is no part number or identifier on the cartridge.

Any help would be super appreciated! I'd love to be able to do this myself, but am at a bit of a roadblock.

Thanks!

IMG_8064.jpg
IMG_8065.jpg
IMG_8066.jpg

moen_1200_old.jpg

Moen 1200 photo added by Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moen 1200
I'm guessing you have an old brass one. The outer shell is still stuck in the valve?

Below is the 1225B that is mainly plastic.

moen1225.gif

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
With all due respect.....anyone working in the plumbing department of any store that does not recognize the inner stem of a Moen 1200.........sheeeeeesh!!

As Terry said, replace it with the 1225.

Your hard chore now is getting the main part of the cartridge out. The hardware stores have the moen removal tool. Check back with us if you have trouble. You WILL have trouble!

kalisti

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, it is mostly brass, which confused me when I went in to find a replacement. I saw the 1225 there and thought that would be the one I should get, but the plastic housing confused me. The tool the guy sold me just fit on to this and pulled it straight out. It was metal, with a single crossbar. Is there an additional tool I can use to get the stuck part of the cartridge out?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You did the "easy" part. The hard part is removing the exterior sleeve, and since I have 5 different tools to do that, and sometimes it takes more than one to accomplish the task, I cannot really advise you how to do it. However, there is one tool, made by Pasco and others, which goes into the sleeve and locks into it. Be advised, however, that once it goes it it CANNOT be removed until the sleeve comes out of the faucet, so it is usually the tool used as a "last resort", not the first one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks