Toilet install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Titan7

Reaction score
Ok it's been a while since I have put one in. We just had the bathroom retailed on the first floor, the flange is 5/8" below the tile surface. So I used a thick wax ring with the plastic flange in it and a regulare wax ring. When I stacked them it was almost 2"which I thought was too much so I cut the was ring in half which gave me about 1 1/2" stacked. I put the cut ring under the one with the plastic flange. When set the toilet I could feel the compression. Tightened the bolts on each side finger tight then took a 7/16 deep socket and turned by hand until tight, I did not use the racket as I did not want to tighten too much.

All seems good, this toto drake is about 7 years old, it was not being used for about a year while the remodel was going on.

The only issue I can find is I heard a slight hissing sound from the fill valve, the blue valve on the left. It's intermittent, does this mean I need to replace it?

Thanks

I am going to wait a could days before caulking around the toilet to ensure their are no leaks, I place brown paper strips under the bowl to ensure there are no leaks, it ther is one, the paper will get wet. Nothing yet so looks good.

Did I miss anything?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the hissing, check out this page.
www.terrylove.com/korky

Either the flapper is leaking, causing the valve to refill, or the assembly cap on the fill valve needs replacing.

For the install, you can caulk the bowl to the floor using polyseamseal.

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited:

Titan7

Reaction score
Thx terry! Just wanted to make sure I did not miss anything. Is the dap bright white tub and bath caulk in the red and white tube okay for toilet bowl?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try Polyseamseal. You can remove it later without major hassles.

Titan7

Reaction score
Ok had a leak at the tank bolts. I guess I should have replaced the 7 year old rubber gaskets that dried out for a year. Drained the tank replaced the rubber gaskets. Back to watching. Did I miss anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks