Help! old shower valve, unknown design/manufacturer

Users who are viewing this thread

JB_1024

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a leaky shower valve here of unknown manufacture. No names or part numbers on it. Pulled out the cartridge and the design is nothing like what is currently available, so my question is A) can I get parts for this, or B) can I put a newer-design cartridge in the valve body? Please see attached photos...

Thanks,
-JB
01.jpg02.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1; You can only get parts if you can identify the manufacturer. The "snap on" balancing spool would make it easy to identify, but it also means that it matches none of the "standard" mnanufacturers.
2. There are no "generic" cartridges that will interchange between brands.

The stem looks like it could be a Valley, but I am not sure if they made a pressure balanced valve that looks like that.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Looking at where the rear seals go in the valve body, it looks like that area is rough...unless that can be cleaned up, I'm not sure any cartridge will seal or last long if it did. I'm assuming (and may not be right) that the inlet to the cartridge must seal against the rear seats.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with hj that the trim, the spool connection, everything...is reminiscent of Valley, except the inner dog leg. I can not find any valley cart. that looks like that. I guess the one more thing we would like to see is the handle.

JB_1024

Reaction score
Hello again and thanks for the replies. I bit the bullet and just replaced the whole valve. What was supposed to be a 5-minute thing turned into a whole weekend - as usual.

Jimbo: the handle was missing to begin with, that's what started all this. Since I could not find a knob to fit it, I figured I'd just pull the whole cartridge and take it to the local plumbing shop. Nobody there had ever seen one like it! I put it back in and it was leaking horribly...

All good now though, and the family is happy with the new valve because it has pressure-balancing and all that.

-JB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks